Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

New to Jeeps and need help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New to Jeeps and need help please

Hey guys! Ok, so my name is Tim and i am brand new to the whole 4x4 jeep thing. I actually dont own the jeep, my father does. I am posting on his behalf as he is horrible with a computer. Anyway, here is our situation.
My father just bought a 2002 Jeep Cherokee for $300 from a friend of ours. The only problem is that the motor is done. We pulled the timing cover off and was able to pull a small piece of one of the pistons out along with a mangled ring. Now he has been looking for a replacement motor and we are having issues as there are really not alot of them floating around.(By the way this is a 4.0 v6 motor)

So, do you guys know of anyplace where we can pick up a shortblock for this jeep? we havent pulled the whole motor yet to see if the valves are trashed yet. we plan to do this when we both can get away from work.

I was contemplating a idea i had but need yalls help with. I have a 1999 kenne bell s/c mustang gt and have a fully built motor that will be going in the car very soon. What do you thing of putting the 4.6 v8 that i will be pulling out of the car into the jeep? would this work? i know i will need a wiring harness, comp, ect... but what is the tranny rated for? I know they make these conversion kits for the jeep to where you are able to put chevy v8 ect... in them but do not want to if the rest of the drive train will not hold the power. we are not looking to put this thing down the track or anything. But since we have to replace the motor(or atleast the bottom half) mind as well put a v8 in there right?

So i guess the real question is(if possible) do we just replace the stock 4.0 v6 or do we try to fit the 4.6 v8 in it? Any of you ever tried this?
anyway, Thanks ahead of time for any help you all can give me.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:29 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4 banger....my ***

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
Hey guys! Ok, so my name is Tim and i am brand new to the whole 4x4 jeep thing. I actually dont own the jeep, my father does. I am posting on his behalf as he is horrible with a computer. Anyway, here is our situation.
My father just bought a 2002 Jeep Cherokee for $300 from a friend of ours. The only problem is that the motor is done. We pulled the timing cover off and was able to pull a small piece of one of the pistons out along with a mangled ring. Now he has been looking for a replacement motor and we are having issues as there are really not alot of them floating around.(By the way this is a 4.0 v6 motor)

So, do you guys know of anyplace where we can pick up a shortblock for this jeep? we havent pulled the whole motor yet to see if the valves are trashed yet. we plan to do this when we both can get away from work.

I was contemplating a idea i had but need yalls help with. I have a 1999 kenne bell s/c mustang gt and have a fully built motor that will be going in the car very soon. What do you thing of putting the 4.6 v8 that i will be pulling out of the car into the jeep? would this work? i know i will need a wiring harness, comp, ect... but what is the tranny rated for? I know they make these conversion kits for the jeep to where you are able to put chevy v8 ect... in them but do not want to if the rest of the drive train will not hold the power. we are not looking to put this thing down the track or anything. But since we have to replace the motor(or atleast the bottom half) mind as well put a v8 in there right?

So i guess the real question is(if possible) do we just replace the stock 4.0 v6 or do we try to fit the 4.6 v8 in it? Any of you ever tried this?
anyway, Thanks ahead of time for any help you all can give me.
First, is it a Grand Cherokee? Second, its an inline 6 motor. Since its toast I would replace it with a 4.6l stroker motor from www.golen.com. It is essentially a 4.0 motor that is stroked using an AMC 258 crank. The stroker is a direct bolt in. so a 3500 dollar motor in a 300 dollar fairly new jeep isn't bad! It also puts down 260hp and 295 ft. lbs. of torque! I am assuming the 0331 head cracked on the Jeep, am I correct?

or better yet just go to a local yard and get a used motor and throw her in! you might check the classifeds here . I'd also try craigslist.org I bet there is one in your area!

Last edited by FlexdXJ; 06-12-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0

I would stay with the 4.0. The Ford motor is probably gonna require a transmission that will bolt up to the 4.6 along with a transfer case. Not impossible but will definitly take a lot of time and money. Quadratec sells ATK motors that I have heard are great deals. http://www.quadratec.com/Showcases/j...ement_engines/
Old 06-13-2009, 09:10 AM

Year: 97
Engine: 4 banger....my ***

Originally Posted by drakan1908
I would stay with the 4.0. The Ford motor is probably gonna require a transmission that will bolt up to the 4.6 along with a transfer case. Not impossible but will definitly take a lot of time and money. Quadratec sells ATK motors that I have heard are great deals. http://www.quadratec.com/Showcases/j...ement_engines/
Can't go wrong with the 4.0 for sure but while its out he may as well throw a stroker in it. Right?
Old 06-13-2009, 10:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)

^^^Yea they have those also.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:25 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L`

These I-6 engines are normally a 200,000 mile motor so any latemodel I-6 you find would be the cheep way to go and safe.

Having said that a 4.6 stroker is a great way to go. Happy hunting!
Old 06-14-2009, 02:32 AM

Thanks guys! Sorry for the v6 comment. So used to typing v6 or v8. I will look into the 4.6 stroker. But remember it's my fathers, not mine, so ultamatley it will be up to him on what he wants to put in the jeep.if it were mine I would def do a stroker motor. Anyway, so I don't think we will do the 4.6 v8 conversion. I think it will be too much work for what he will use it for. Thnks again and I will keep yall updated I his decision.

Last edited by Tim99GT; 06-14-2009 at 02:36 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

all has been said, a ford swap means mounts/trans/wireing/puter/aspirin/miller
Old 10-05-2010, 06:28 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L

cant go wrong with the 4.0 I6, Father has a 2000 Cherokee Sport with 398,000 on his, first motor died @ 341,000. Very cheap to find them.

coming from a fellow mustang owner, (03GT with 04 Cobra motor, helion single turbo) i wouldn't put the mustnag motor in it, alot more money would be spent. Just my .02
Old 10-12-2010, 06:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
Thanks guys! Sorry for the v6 comment. So used to typing v6 or v8. I will look into the 4.6 stroker. But remember it's my fathers, not mine, so ultamatley it will be up to him on what he wants to put in the jeep.if it were mine I would def do a stroker motor. Anyway, so I don't think we will do the 4.6 v8 conversion. I think it will be too much work for what he will use it for. Thnks again and I will keep yall updated I his decision.
the 4.6 stroker is not a V8 it is a 4.0 I6 built in a 4.0 block
your pa would never know