Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

New to Jeeps!

Old 03-19-2015, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 242 Inline 6
Default New to Jeeps!

I recently bought a 1994 Grand Cherokee, and am having a wiper issue. I have replaced the Wiper Motor (new), the Wiper Switch (new), and the Delay Box down by the Driver side kick panel (tested good on another Jeep)- and my wipers STILL have no delay or low speed function. They only work on high speed. Would also like to know how I can find out if it has a Security/Keyless Entry system, without the key fob button. It has the little red thingy in the overhead console. Also....would like to know why my overhead console DTE indicator is flaky, and does not match the gas gauge reading. I hope I'm not being "greedy" asking this stuff all at once, but I would really like some help with these issues. By the way, everything else works perfectly.
More questions: Can I replace a Command Trac transfer case with a Select Trac case? Also, most common reason ABS light stays on; brakes work properly. Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 03-19-2015, 06:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I'm not sure what would cause the wipers to still not function correctly after replacing everything except the wiring. You can swap the transfercase pretty easily, you just have to make sure the input shaft length and spline count is the same. You should have keyless entry, www.keylessride.com will have a fob and instructions on how to program it. But you would be better off having an aftermarket alarm installed. The stock remote uses an infrared signal and only work line of sight. It sucks. The overhead readout is never very accurate.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:27 PM

Default Thanks!

I thank you , Mr. Bustedback, for your reply. This Jeep is fascinating to me; prior to owning it, I owned an 85 Plymouth Gran Fury for 14 years, and only got rid of it because a "little voice" told me that it wasn't worth fixing the flex plate. The gas mileage in this thing is unbelieveable, for the size and capacity of it! I have been converted; me and computer-controlled, fuel injected vehicles ain't never been friends, but this critter is an exception! Thanks again!
Old 03-20-2015, 02:31 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

In my opinion, the 4.0 liter straight 6 is jeep's most reliable engine and once you understand how the electronics work, are easy to diagnose and fix. I will say that using Mopar sensors pays off in the long run, in other words, don't buy other brands of sensors because they are not always reliable or long lasting.

What Busted says is right. The overhead console is often wonky and difficult to make function correctly. In m '97 ZJ, I just ignored it. Mine was in the dash under the radio. The only function that still worked was the time & date. The temp reading was 40* higher that it really was.

I, also, haven't a clue as to what's going on with your wipers.

You can find all the info you will need about the t/case swap at http://jeepforum.com/forum/f13/trans...1-np242-685644

Last edited by dave1123; 03-20-2015 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:12 AM

Default More thanks!

Bustedback: Oroville? Almost missed that; the hometown of Glynnis Yeager, Gen. Chuck's wife!!

And to Dave 1123: I would guess that when you've been building an engine (4.0, or 242 for us old un-metric-fied geezers!) since the 40's, it might be kinda hard to goof it up!(LOL) The weird thing with my overhead console is that all the other functions work A-1 properly! ONLY the DTE indicator is flaky; when I fill up, it will start off saying 393 miles to empty, then will go up to 409, then, within 20 miles of driving, it'll say 278 miles to empty- all the time, the gas gauge hasn't moved a whit!
Hey...I just thought up a good one for ya'll. Does anyone make a retro kit to put a carb and a point distributor in this thing? I am pretty sure that doing that would cause you to lose all of the electronic functions; speedo and such, but I was reading One Second After the other day, and.....(LOL)!!!
Old 03-20-2015, 09:41 AM
CF Veteran

Fuel injection is much easier to deal with once you know how it works.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:21 AM

Default Fuel Injection...

Believe it or not, the only FI system I am familiar with is the one that Chrysler put on the 1958 300C; you might remember that Electronic "abomination" that most people got rid of! 78 vacuum tubes on the rear package shelf, wires out the wazoo, and would ALWAYS break when you needed it most! If you know anyone who's looking for someone who can fix one of those (hollow laugh!), send 'em my way! But I guess it's long past time for me to learn this stuff- the kids I teach call me a dinosaur (they, of course, are right!)
Old 03-21-2015, 06:07 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Hey! I'm old enough to remember the 300C and I owned a 300H myself! The only 300C I ever had occasion to work on had a pair of WCFB carbs on it.

The strictly mechanical one Rochester made for the '64 Corvette was also a nightmare. What a piece of garbage! My buddy switched his to a big Holley and threw away that unit. It worked okay until he accidentally dumped radiator stop leak into his gas tank instead of drygas! It stalled before he got to the key. What an idiot!

I'm a 70 year-old fart now and still like to play with blocks!
Old 03-21-2015, 08:56 AM

Default Carbs....

Thanks for the memories. I ain't but a "youngster" of 56 myself, but I remember those WCFB's- the very first 4 barrel made, and a joy to rebuild! But I admit I am more into the Thermoquad (aka, "The Plastic Fantastic") era. I turned into a Moparhead in 1979; traded a 1975 Torino Station Wagon HEAD UP to a lot for a 69 R/T SE Charger- and never looked back! Oddly ehough though, the one car I wish I still had.....owned a 1968 Caprice Station Wagon, with all the bells and whistles. Put a SB 400 Chevy in it, and let me tell ya; that engine ain't nothing nice! I have run through quite a few cars in my life to date, but this Jeep is a wonder!
Old 03-21-2015, 09:47 AM
CF Veteran

I've had my Jeep for about five years and I still get a stupid grin on my face when I drive it. It still amazes me off road too!
Old 03-21-2015, 11:19 AM
Old fart with a wrench

I think you did a great job on that ZJ and I'D love to own it. About the stupid grin, my WJ isn't anything but stock but when it snows, I really get off blasting thru stuff that would make other SUV's clench their butt cheeks! Once this winter we got 18" of lake-effect snow and it didn't even make my jeep wince! She just kept on jeepin'. I've only plowed (blew) my driveway twice before it got too cold for me to be outside and I've just been driving thru it since. I need more flex because putting my driver's front wheel up on a frozen snowbank to deliver a newspaper is a real PITA!

I think my lower ball joints are shot because, even though I greased it, she making a groaning sound in the steering. It's not the steering pump. I eyeballed it and everything seems to be okay underneath. It seems to be worst after you stop for a couple of minutes.

HSTruman, my specialty was the Quadrojet. I raced my '67 SS Camaro in G/Stock and that carb needed CONSTANT attention. I got so I was charging $10 plus the price of the kit to rebuild them and adjust the secondaries for mechanical opening.

Last edited by dave1123; 03-21-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:47 AM
CF Veteran

The lower ball joints will collect water and rust out since most don't have a grease fitting. Not hard to replace...at least not in California. You guys in the Rust Belt have it tough.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:45 PM
Old fart with a wrench

I had one lower ball joint on my ZJ that actually lost it's cap it was so bad and the outer part had to be torched out. All 4 joints were bad and I still didn't get Death Wobble! Go figure. The wheel hub bearings were shot too.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:23 PM

Default Snow....

Dave 1123: I missed all of the recent snow, being as I live in Louisiana, but....the winter of 2009, I was in Kentucky, when that Ice Storm hit, and later on, in APRIL, of all things, we (Western Ky.) got 9 INCHES of snow! Back then, I had an 85 Ramcharger 4-by; 360/727TF/NP 204 TC. No problems at all.... you might also note in my avatar pic, the classic Chrysler "383 4 Barrel", emblems on the fenders; had nothing to do while replacing them, so I thought I'd give a "shout out" to the "old school". Hence also my "signature", "If you can't dazzle 'em with your brilliance..." I am sure that if i was willing to spend the money, I could actually put a 383 in this critter (assuming I could FIND a decent Chrysler 383...), but, as I told a friend of mine awhile back, there are much easier ways of committing suicide! (LOL)

Bustedback: One of the things that's really freaking me out about this Jeep is, it was obviously a northern vehicle- and it has been hit, front and back!. If you slam a door too hard, rust falls out and off everywhere! I just changed all 4 shocks (two of them were useless), and the rear drums virtually crumbled when I changed them. You can see the rust on the frame and undercarriage- and this critter just rolls like nothing whatsoever is wrong. No squeaks, rattles, or moans and groans. There is a minor rightward pull in the steering, but I believe that a plain-jane front end alignment will fix that. This is only the third vehicle I've owned with FI and a computer, and I JUNKED the first 2 after Katrina (I was in New Orleans for that debacle, and it wasn't bad as people wanna make it out to be; at least, for me).
Old 03-22-2015, 02:35 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Watch the mounts for the lower control arms, My ZJ tore one out in the rear and that's why I had to retire her. After bolting and welding about 100 lbs of metal into it to fix it, no state inspectors wanted to take a chance on passing it. Look for small cracks in the front frame mounting areas as well, like around the kick-up in the "frame". I met a guy from Georgia who said he sprayed his truck with 90W gear oil because of the red clay. Maybe that would slow down your cancer as well.

My WJ started life in southwestern PA and it is pristine. I've had it 3 years now in upstate NY, but keep the undercarriage washed off as much as possible.

My best friend from high school lives in Beau Bridge LA. We are both previous RI residents. The amazing thing this year is the City of Syracuse DPW ran out of road salt this year and had to buy more! They don't mix it with sand so it won't clog the storm drains. They have to repave the overhead highways every year because the salt eats up the concrete and steel!

Here's a pic posted on the "off topic" section of the forum with no caption or explanation. It looks to me like a jeep lost in one of the hurricanes, probably Sandy in NJ. I said he was just driving back to shore!

BTW, There is an ABS sensor on each wheel hub. Maybe your '94 only has 2-wheel ABS, IDK, but these sensors can get damaged or knocked out of place. Also each hub has a slotted gear-type thingy on it that the sensor reads for wheel speed. These get rusted up so the sensor can't read the slots. You can try cleaning them up with a wire brush or something. If it has 4-wheel ABS, the sensors are inside the brake drums.

Last edited by dave1123; 03-22-2015 at 02:48 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to Jeeps!