Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

New here. Jeep 4.0L engine mod questions!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New here. Jeep 4.0L engine mod questions!

Hello everyone, great to be here!

I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L I6 with the 4spd Auto and SelecTrac TC. Supposedly its a pretty good setup. Today at the shop where I was getting my oil changed and diff/TC fluids checked etc., I asked him if there are any legit mods that could be done to increase power/efficiency. He stated that if it was him he'd put a Flowmaster exhaust on it with a Summit "airbox". He said it would give me a boost in both HP and milage.

I've heard of the Flowmaster stuff but not this "airbox". Can anyone explain it to me and give me some suggestions on what setup to get? Is it easy enough to do myself?

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: I guess a more general question would be what legit mods are available to increase power/efficiency?

Last edited by KDOG; 01-06-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:14 PM

Airbox is a part of the intake setup where the filter sits .. if you are not going to do serious offroading and not worrying about things being water proof I would look up cold air intake systems or even make one urself.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:35 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 High Output

You can go to advance auto and they have all the components for you to build your own cold air intake for around $80. I would just invest in a mud guard for your air filter because it is pretty exposed and you never know if it is going to muddy somewhere or not.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:43 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum from Texas
Old 01-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Seasoned Member

A high flow air filter will help. IDK on the ZJ's but the k&n filter that replaces the stock filter on XJ is a bit two small and lets debris by. Its why I'm going to get a cone and got rid of the air box.

Welcome from UT, BTW.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:20 PM

I've also heard the K&N air filters are actually TERRIBLE for your engine. I even saw somewhere (wish I could remember where) someone had a graph that showed where it lets something like 45x more dirt through. I used to have one in the stock box but decided to take it out after hearing that. Didn't want to risk my engine.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by KDOG
I've also heard the K&N air filters are actually TERRIBLE for your engine. I even saw somewhere (wish I could remember where) someone had a graph that showed where it lets something like 45x more dirt through. I used to have one in the stock box but decided to take it out after hearing that. Didn't want to risk my engine.
They do thats the only way to make it flow more is to open the holes up
Old 01-06-2011, 01:46 PM

I can't figure out why a more common sense solution to airflow hasn't been explored - could one just put a bigger airbox that uses a larger regular filter on and have still have the improved airflow without risking more contamination?
Old 01-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by KDOG
I can't figure out why a more common sense solution to airflow hasn't been explored - could one just put a bigger airbox that uses a larger regular filter on and have still have the improved airflow without risking more contamination?
Make one
Old 01-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

Actually, studies have been done that show the stock pad air filter will flow more than twice what the engine demands, but the intake piping needs to be larger. The only sugnificant improvement would be ram air or supercharging. Believe it or not, I've seen the 4.0 supercharged with a heater blower fan and it actually made a performance difference! It was a squirrel-cage fan with a round pipe outlet. It was rigged to a toggle switch for on-demand use only. Makes people crazy when you burn rubber with an old rusted-out Wagoneer!

Any reduction in exhaust back-pressure will also help, however you are stuck with a converter and not much can be done with that. The matrix must remain clean, however, or it becomes a strangler. As far as mufflers go, how much noise can you deal with? Most performance mufflers will do, the more money you spend determines how long they last.

BTW I've been drag racing most of my life. Welcome to the forum! If you can't find you answer here, you didn't ask the right question or weren't listening!

Last edited by dave1123; 01-06-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:49 PM

Dave your 100% right couldn't of said it better
Old 01-06-2011, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 5.7l HEMI

Dave

The heater blower sounds interesting. Although a home made contraption will look as pretty as a soup sandwich, it may give enough low speed grunt to get over a steep incline or something.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:00 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L6

yeah throw a cold air intake and a cat back on it!

google "cold air intake" and "cat back"

they are really easy and quick mods you can do yourself that will improve your jeeps performance and sound.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:46 PM

The cat back sounds interesting. I'm also interested in finding out more about the seemingly simple principle of channeling more fresh air through the existing filter. I may also take the other posters' advice and look into "building one" to do what I'm looking for. Thanks for the advice all...
Old 01-07-2011, 02:02 AM

Go on summit racing or jegs to get a catback they have a few diff good choices nd if you have knowledge of tools and cars or trucks you will be able to do it in a weekend or a day

Quick Reply: New here. Jeep 4.0L engine mod questions!