Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

need some help

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V6 4.0 LITER
Default need some help

what kind of electrical short would cause an engine to keep stalling? my vehicle has a hard time warming up and stalls quite frequently while doing so. it will eventually let me drive. sometimes it will stall immediately. sometimes after about 5-6 miles. othertimes it runs fine. but, after say an hour, when i go to crank up to leave, it keeps stalling while i let the motor warm up. i force it to drive home and sometimes it stalls. the dash gauges act up a little sometimes. the temp gauge keeps acting up still. i can replace that sensor easily. but the battery gauge and oil pressure gauge move around just a little. i have a new battery and have replaced the following parts: both O2 sensors / coil / rotor & distributor cap / spark plugs & wires / cam position sensor / catalytic converter & muffler. sometimes this jeep runs great like there is no problem at all. thought it could be the evap canister or evap solenoid purge because it seems like the motor was getting choked off for fuel. had the fuel pressure load checked & got a 49 rating. has to fall between 44-54 rating. fuel is being properly delivered to motor or it would not stay running at all. when i shut my hood while the motor was running yesterday, it hesitated like it wanted to stall for just a few seconds. then it ran fine. i drove 6 miles with no problems. hour later, i had to crank multiple times 8 - 10 times and it kept stalling after about 3 minutes. each time it ran a shorter length of time. i am aware that there were 2 particular recalls on my 97 grand cherokee laredo V6 vehicle that i wonder if that could be the problem. one is recall# 12416: has to do with a bad fuel level sending unit on fuel pump and #2 is recall#49594 which has to do with the electrical grommet connectors @ top of fuel pump module that is not compatible with fuels. this causes a potential leak path. since i changed my exhaust system out, i have smelled fuel only twice when the car started sputtering for fuel ( it seemed ) and then stalled after about 10 seconds. vehicle always starts right back up then stalls repeatedly. i'm tired of wasting 30 minutes a day just trying to leave from somewhere. does anyone know of any specific electrical shorts check points i could look for? everything feels snug and tight and not cut or frayed under the hood. i would appreciate any assistance from someone who has had any experience with this kind of problem. also, fuel relay is good and have good vacuum on the crankcase ventilation hose. no vacuum leaks around motor or accessories either. this has put a terrible disturbance in my force and i'm ready to rip the steering wheel off this vehicle. help me obi-wan, you're my only hope. p.s. electrical charging system checked out fine also.

Last edited by vadergator; 11-09-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:40 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

If you have a 6 cylinder engine in a 97 grand then you have the 4.0L inline 6 cylinder engine. I would replace your crank position sensor as what you have described makes it sound like it's your problem. The 4.oL engine is an amazing engine but that cps will cause it to stall and not run right.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

As will the cam sensor. I replace both the cam and crank sensors at the same time for piece of mind.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

X2 eventually you will be driving around with it runny great and you'll stop at a place and go back and it won't do a thing. If that happens you can try putting ice on the cps to cool it off and let sit for about 30 min. Had to do that once with a buddies jeep on the trail and it worked. Then quickly get the part replaced because it will just go down hill from there.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Man busted you have beat me 2 for 2 on replys. Dang iPhone.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Droid wins again.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:25 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: V6 4.0 LITER

Originally Posted by Bustedback
As will the cam sensor. I replace both the cam and crank sensors at the same time for piece of mind.
i messed up on my ad. i replaced the crankshaft position sensor about 6 months ago with all the tune-up fixings. do they go bad repeatedly and in that short of time frame? any cause i can check for as to why? also, i just put in my new cam position sensor ( pick-up / relay ). motor turns over but won't crank. it did once for about 5 seconds. got a PO 351 and a PO 320. again, coil, crankshaft position sensor, both O2 sensors, rotor, plugs and wires, catalytic converter and muffler changed 6 months ago. battery changed 2 weeks ago. cam position sensor yesterday. also, do i have mini-coils on every cyclinder? the plug-in connectors by each fuel injector? primary coil is the actual coil is it not? secondary bank is what? mini-coils or cam position sensor/ distributor cap? fill me in please.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

This may have nothing to do with it, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway. Try replacing the ASD relay.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:38 PM

Year: 1998 Limited 5.9L
Engine: 5.9L

Out of curiosity, what brand are the sensors that you have replaced? Mopar? Or something else? If they are something else, I've seen brand new units (such as Bosch) fail the moment they are plugged in. Just a suggestion...
Old 11-14-2012, 06:10 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

With the engine running, wiggle the wire harness where it goes into the PCM. If you get a response (it stutters or dies), you've bad connections at the PCM.