Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

need help guys please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default need help guys please!

Hey Everyone,
I have ran into a problem and Im not sure what it is. My 96 grand cherokee wont start. The battery is fully charged. All lights will come on etc. The wires are all tight not loose all the way to the starter. The ground wire is hooked. I have held a screwdriver to the ground and another wire to arc it while trying to start the car. The motor kicks on but nothing. Not even a click on the starter. Ive checked all wires. I have tried wiggling the shifter and while trying to start it. Also, the starter is relatively new (less than a year old). The situation was I drove around my neighborhood the other night. The weather was snowy and icy. The undercarriage went through some ice and snow by way of tires kicking it up. However, I drove around and the car reacted normally. I came home and went inside for 30 min. I came back out and got in my car and tried to start it. It would not start. I left it over night and went back the next morning and still nothing. I have looked up on a couple websites and I have read that it could possibly be the neutral switch? I am not sure? If it is where is it exactly? If its not what else could it be besides the starter?
Thank you
Have a nice day!
Old 12-16-2010, 04:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

search nss cleaning on forum search if that dont fix it and juice is getting to starter when key is turned and the starter is not engaging take it out have it checked, always by life time starters and alternators and water pumps pays in the long run
Old 12-16-2010, 07:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

If it was the NSS the engine should have cranked over when you jumped across the starter. Check your battery connections and make sure they're clean between the post and terminal.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

took the starter off today. tested it and its good. any suggestions?
Old 12-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Are you getting voltage to the starter solenoid? bench tests don't include your harness. If you're not getting a voltage signal to the solenoid while turning the key to start, I can only suspect the NSS or the key switch itself. Do your dash indicator lights go out while cranking?