Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

need help, bad.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4LI6
Default need help, bad.

My 98 jgcl died while at idle. I am stranded and using phone to do this so searching is hard. I unlocked with keyless, cranked it fine, it idled for about 30 seconds and just quit by itself. I have no spark. Please give me ideas. Tried in neutral, tried alarm on off. Going to sleep in back
Old 05-28-2011, 02:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

First thing that comes to mind is the crank sensor, they are usually known to fail when running awhile (hot), sometimes they will come back to life after cooling off a bit.

It would be hard to fully diagnose on the side of the road, but with no spark that would be a good assumption. You can try switching the ASD relay with another relay in the fuse box. check coil connections and coil wire, might even swap the coil wire with a spark plug wire to make sure the coil wire is ok, that would give you a dead cyl but you could get home.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:14 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4LI6

well, replaced cps and tested other components of the electrical system. everything seems normal. my zj cranked, ran a little and died. more fiddling and it cranked and ran perfect all the way home. about a 25 min. ride. it has to be a connection somewhere, but where? when it doesnt run there is no power to the coil. the plug that connects to the coil is the one that seems to cause problems but i can not pinpoint it. computer plugs, computer itself? i dont know. i hate electrical gremlins. when it is running, it is perfect. it is all or nothing, like a switch. i will dive back in tomorrow and keep y'all posted. meanwhile, if you have any ideas please let me know. i slept in the back last night... quite comfortable actually. but do not want to make it a habit.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:44 AM

Model: Cherokee

Have you found the problem with this yet? I am having the same problem and would like to get this fixed.