Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Need direction on where to start...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L V8
Default Need direction on where to start...

So I bought my first Jeep yesterday and she is giving me a good "Jeep welcome" I guess you could say. 1997 Grand Cherokee Limited with a 5.2L V8. So I bought her and she had a simple misfire so I pulled one plug and it didn't look so good. So I disconnected the battery and pulled the other 7 and replaced them and the wires. Misfire gone, but then...

Hatch glass button won't open window, I'm guessing one of the solenoids is stuck on/off, the mechanism seems to have seen ebtter days too.
AC/Heat won't kick on, I can hear the 'flaps' shift when moving from floor to dash vents. When I turn the AC on the lines condense. I tried locating my fuse panel but my Chilton's wasn't so clear.
EBrake Handle is basically a ***** grip, doesn't do anything like... you know engage an emergency brake.
When I was changing the spark plugs I noticed what looks to be a small oil leak around the passenger side head, simple gasket replacement?
Oh and Coolant Sensor Bad and Coolant Sensor Low popped up once each over the past two days, haven't heard from them since.

Any suggestions on where to tackle these couple things? She may be trying to fight me but I'm still stoked to finally have a Jeep.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by CherockeeXJ
So I bought my first Jeep yesterday and she is giving me a good "Jeep welcome" I guess you could say. 1997 Grand Cherokee Limited with a 5.2L V8. So I bought her and she had a simple misfire so I pulled one plug and it didn't look so good. So I disconnected the battery and pulled the other 7 and replaced them and the wires. Misfire gone, but then...

Hatch glass button won't open window, I'm guessing one of the solenoids is stuck on/off, the mechanism seems to have seen ebtter days too.
AC/Heat won't kick on, I can hear the 'flaps' shift when moving from floor to dash vents. When I turn the AC on the lines condense. I tried locating my fuse panel but my Chilton's wasn't so clear.
EBrake Handle is basically a ***** grip, doesn't do anything like... you know engage an emergency brake.
When I was changing the spark plugs I noticed what looks to be a small oil leak around the passenger side head, simple gasket replacement?
Oh and Coolant Sensor Bad and Coolant Sensor Low popped up once each over the past two days, haven't heard from them since.

Any suggestions on where to tackle these couple things? She may be trying to fight me but I'm still stoked to finally have a Jeep.
My parking brake was the same way, although i never really bothered to fix it since jeeps are auto, just put it in park and your set to go, pull the center console and check the conections at the base, and then under the jeep check the e brake linkage, chances are someone just unhooked it doing some other repair and then never re-attached, or it actually broke and youll be able to see it and repair.

as far as the oil leak near the head: Have you been overheating at all? also check your oil for milkyness and check your coolant, if both are fine and your not overheating then mostlikely yes simple gasket replacement

your fuse panel should be on the dash passenger side, inbetween the door and side dash, you'll have to open the door and it should be there.