Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Need advice to used or remanuf engine 2003 WJ Overland 4.7L HO....

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L
Default Need advice to used or remanuf engine 2003 WJ Overland 4.7L HO....

Need advice...to fix or junk 03 JGC Overland?
SUBQUESTION: $3500 Remanuf engine or $1700 junkyard find? Labor of install looks to be $1100 either way per tech.

During unbelievable busy day Thursday (isnt that when it always happens), heard loud whine followed by repeating knock in motor. Vehicle dies....I restart...two miles later dies again. No restart. Trusted mechanic calls today and said motor is shot. I believe him, as I had already put $1,500 into the motor last year.

First of all, i love jeeps. I think its fantastic that they have almost the same problems model to model...and theres a forum like this where you can find answers. My previous 3 vehicles were Cherokees. My next three will be also. That said, my WJ 03 JGC Overland appers to need a new motor....and it has 190000k.

I use these vehicles for work, and run around 3000miles/month. I typically buy them used (70-100k) and run them to 200000ish miles; then give them to my parents. This is because i have found they are not dependable for me to run past 200k, and I dont have time for a breakdown. My parents are semi retired (my mom works for my company from home) and my dad drives less than a mile to work. So the vechicles will last them forever (or until they get the next hand me down. I get the peace of knowing that i am helping them (personal & financial satisfaction), maintaining a fallback vehicle for my family (for when my wife or I are without a current vehicle), and prolong the dream of building a trick hunting/fishing truck. My parents are currently driving my old 99 Cherokee Classic (200Kmiles), their 97 JGC Limited (which has a bad whine in rear end), and I was planning on giving them the WJ Overland this winter when I finally decided whether to buy another WJ Overland or a newer model.

However, due to the volume of business over the past few years (for which I am blessed), I have had no time for that dream. I also have no time to find the vehicle (I truly want) at this point. So I am leaning more towards the repair using the local junkyard find motor for $1700+1100 install. My thinking is that something else would likely go before the engine does again..so why spend twice the money. Also, to fix rather than junk, this would give me a couple months to shop for the replacement Overland that I want anyway. I should also mention that the Overland is cherry...except that I think the heater core is going out soon. Starting to smell antifreeze when I turn on heater....

Helpful advice is much appreciated.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:06 PM

Should also mention...I dont know d@&k about automotive tech. I am great at what I do, but auto repair is definately not it. I didnt even know what they meant by long and short block replacement until I just read the post below.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...it-wj-1187250/

So, factor that in for what its worth.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome to CF. From what you stated, the JY engine would fill the bill just fine IMO. And that price is a good deal for a 4.7L HO, as long as it doesn't have a lot of miles on it. Just make sure it's actually an HO, and not the standard 4.7L, as they look very similar in appearance. >http://www.wjjeeps.com/engine.htm
This shows the differences in the intake manifolds, and is the easiest way to tell the difference between the two. Don't be fooled by the air inlet logo which connects to the throttle body on top of the manifold. It can easily be switched. >http://www.wjjeeps.com/manifold.htm
Old 10-22-2012, 07:22 PM

Thanks a ton for the info. Someone told me to check out engines direct, said they give pretty good prices on reman motors.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by LINEOFDEFENSE
Thanks a ton for the info. Someone told me to check out engines direct, said they give pretty good prices on reman motors.
You're welcome.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with them.