Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

My stock 5 speed zj headache

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0
Angry My stock 5 speed zj headache

Whats up guys, My names cooper and im just a 16 year old who bought a stock 5 speed zj for 300$ and im trying to revive it BUT its been a pain in my *** and i thought someone would like to give an idea on why im having trouble getting it running right.

*Backstory*
The night i bought it i popped a new fuel pump in her along with plugs and wires and she fired right up!! I thought i just scored a nice zj for 300$
*The next morning*
She does not want to start! It sounded as if it had no compression in one or two cylinders, (had a long stroke when trying to start *hard to explain but it didn't sound right*Also was backfiring out the intake
*Later that day*
She started but it was not happy, it was running real rough and developed a ticking noise that got worse. Changed the oil and added some lucas but no change so I pulled the valve cover and figured out that #1 and #6 push rods have been bent and was the cause of the tick! I was happy that I didn't have a blown engine. Long story short, i popped the new push rods in and it ran great!
*The next morning again*
She doesn't want to start AGAIN , finally got it running but now its like its misfiring in one cylinder. im not getting any codes. It runs great once past 2k but she doesn't like to idle.

* Should also note that i broke the rear PCV valve on top of the valve cover that goes to the manifold but I dont think it has an effect as it ran great the night i broke it*

I'm thinking I have sticky valves, from it sitting when i bought it (Had to have been 3+ years) Could a valve stick from sitting overnight?

I'm not giving up yet but what should i do next? Gonna try some sea foam next before i pour in some real money into this thing.

Last edited by Cooperisnothere; 01-22-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Get a fuel pressure tester and check it. Other threads here on how to do it. Check for codes, vacuum leaks, ignition, ..