Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

my first jeep need help

Old 03-20-2012, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default my first jeep need help

hello all, i finally got my first jeep ,, its a 1997 grand cherokee 4.0 6cyl. and i just love it ,,, i bought it just a week ago.. tryin to fix the little things wrong.. well when i got it ... i noticed no interior lights .. just thought bad bulb or bad fuse well. none of the interior lights work.. i also noticed now that i have no horn... i checked the inter light fuse #16 inside jeep.. and its good.. please help me ... ive been reading in google searches.. that pll had problems with lights being stuck on well mine wont come on.. i also had a bad coolant sensor.. on vic but i found out that faulty solder joints fixed that .... now when i open passenger door.. it doesnt show up on vic... what about the door switch... does this need to be working for the lights to come on... and what about the horn .. i didnt get a keyless entry... when i bought so i cant test the alarm... i read that it would stick as well as the lights so is ther some way i can check all this.. none of mine work... want to fix... thank you for time...
Old 03-21-2012, 09:00 AM

Year: 1995

I would check the door jamb switch and the horn relay
Old 03-21-2012, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome to CF. Do the dome lights work when you press the lens to make them light up?
Old 03-21-2012, 07:32 PM

this is my 2nd day trying to figure it out... he is what i got so far.... cause this is driving me crazy.... as for the horn...ive checked all fuses and none are bad..for anything pulled everyone .. inside and under hood. when i press the horn..i can hear the relay click... so thats wher i am at....with the horn.. is ther some way to jump the horn out... . and now onto the lights.. let me just clairify... that no interior lights work no dome... no courtsey.. no cargo... and the one under hood doesnt work either.. my visor lights work... and my dash light works... so here is what i found... the passenger door switch.. must b showing closed cause its connected and it doesnt show up on vic when u open the door... so it must b bad... and the second i found is that my headlight switch is acting up .. the dimmer switch wont let the dash lights stay on full the just drop back to barley lit... i have to push it all the way up and hold it ther for dash to get bright... and i know thats how u turn on dome lights but i check with a meter and i have no voltage...in the dome socket... also when i turn the headlight selector to auto ... the vic gives me the stupid taillight out error when the are working.... it also causes a buzzing in back speaker....

are ther any hidden fuses... something im missing... when i got the jeep ther wher no bulbs in any of the holders.. thought that was weird...

thanx so far for the tips... any other suggestions would b so greatfull

frank
Old 03-22-2012, 08:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

I think the horns are bad. There are two mounted together, and they are mounted from underneath, on the passenger side, below where the battery is.
Also, if I remember correctly from my '97 ZJ, rolling the dimmer switch wheel doesn't turn on the dome/courtesy lights as in most older vehicles. Mine had to be turned on/off individually by pressing their respective lens cover.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:59 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee

ok so im new here. i have a 96 xj 2 door and i need to replace the passsenger side door. does anyone know if a door off a 4 door truck will fit a 2 door? thanks
Old 03-22-2012, 04:04 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee

ok so i think i deleted my post by accident. so i have a 96 xj 2 door and im needing to replace the passenger door. will the doors off a 4 door xj fit?
Old 03-22-2012, 07:41 PM

thanx ol blue.. tommrow. im goin to remove them and c if i can jump them... i found a wiring diagram... it confuses me tho... it looks like the horns and are feed by 2 diff feeds.. the thing is my work light underhood is in same circuit and it dont wrk with horns..... im still getting the rear tail error on vic.... but the lights work...