Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

might buy a 94 GC Limited, what should I look for?

Old 11-22-2017, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default might buy a 94 GC Limited, what should I look for?

This Friday I'm looking at a 94 GC Limited, it's at a small local auction. I've seen online pics of it and the interior looks really nice, the exterior is faded and oxidized. I won't be able to really test drive it, I might be able to drive 10-20 yards in a dirt lot at the auction site, but not sure on that.
I have a 95 Cherokee, but have no experience with a GC or the V8 and drivetrain in it, so I'm hoping to get some pointers on things to look for and look at.
The one thing I see from searching here is the tcase has a viscous coupler, and they tend to go out at around 150,000 or so. This vehicle has 155,000. Is there anything visual with a bad coupler that I could see without jacking it up? Or that I could tell from the very short drive that I might be able to do? If it's bad, would I notice it in turning, or could I tell going straight forward and back?
How about common rust spots? Pics don't show any rust, but are there spots that are more hidden that it would start?
Any other tips and pointers appreciated!
Old 11-23-2017, 06:39 AM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L Magnum V8 220hp 285ft-lbs

Welcome to the forum.

Get the FSM for the vehicle, it is required.

The VC requires tires w/ identical outside circumference. Assuming the front driveshaft is in-place, drive tight diameter circles on pavement to see if the wheels skip on the surface. If bad, the viscous coupler replacement is not a bad cost or a bad service.

The 46RH transmission could / may / may have already failed. The rebuild / replacement can be pricey and a butt pain. This is my 46RH rebuild topic.

Check the rockers, bottom of doors, hood and liftgate for rust.

Plan on failed engine gaskets and oil leaks on all seals. The internal engine plenum gasket failure is also common. Normal cost and tools required to get a leak-free vehicle.

The CV boot failure is common. The replacement part cost is reasonable and replacement is fine.

If the steering bushings haven't been replaced, then they are shot. The vehicle will wander on the road. There are two bushings pressed into the top of the front axle that require creative replacement solutions for the 99.9%
of owners w/o the correct tool. This reply shows my replaced parts.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks wingless, good info. I will check all those as best as I can on site.