Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

At a loss 1995 jgc spins, fuel, no spark

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default At a loss 1995 jgc spins, fuel, no spark

A few months ago, wife loans her kid 1600 to buy this jeep,, no key fob( family has a 94 and a 95,, 95 my son has a key fob) anyhow, no apparent problems in three months without one, Monday he calls, belt has fallen off and after install wont start, runs the battery to dead, have to haul 120 miles home,, replaced Cranks sensor as has gone bad on other two ( 94 twice ) and still no spark,, thinking something with no key fob I shorted purple/yellow wire as found on web search, still no start, did all doors key back and forth, no start,, disconnect battery I dont get " an alarm" such as Sons 95 gets ( flashing lights, stock horn blowing) this jeep does nothing,, like that,,, I did notice a harness has 1994 on it, and car was first registered in January 1995,, so I figure has left over 94 parts in it,,, I need help troubleshooting without breaking the bank, he still owes his mom 1100 bucks... I ohm'd new sensor and old CPS, they read open like the book says,, tried full throttle also, just to see... ( removed and cleaned TB sensors all up too )
thanks in advance and yes I have been searching internet sites for two days,, Also no codes come to light, if sequence is correct on line..
Old 08-11-2016, 11:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Check for a pulsing ground at the primary ground wire at the coil while cranking. If the test light stays lit or doesn't light at all it could be a crank or cam sensor problem. Also check for voltage at the coil primary lead.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Since it was running good until the belt came off I would look close for any wires that the belt could have hit like the one going to alt.

I had the same problem on a 93, once I grounded the wires in the door for the alarm system it would start and run good and then one day it died like I turned the key off. After days of looking and reading online I lucked out and found a small black wire that ran to the neg post on the battery was broken off under a connector that I could not see. Now runs great.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Maybe test the alternator and battery, if the belt just came off maybe the alternator pulley is loose or bearing is bad and if it was running with the belt loose probably wasn't fully recharging the battery. Have you checked the ignition rotor, starter solenoid? Also trace the battery cables and make sure they are properly connected and grounded. Just some suggestions if you haven't got it running again. good luck with it man hope you get it fixed