Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Life of a 4.7 V8

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Life of a 4.7 V8

Looking to get my wife a WJ and don't know much about the 4.7, what is the life span of this engine. Of course I will be buying used and can't get a true representation of how the engine was taken care of but with yalls help maybe I can get a better clue as to how long these last.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee

It completely depends on how good the previous owner and you take care of it. It's a reliable engine if it is taken care of properly. If not, it can be a real pain in the rear.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:37 PM

Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by Troglodyte
Looking to get my wife a WJ and don't know much about the 4.7, what is the life span of this engine. Of course I will be buying used and can't get a true representation of how the engine was taken care of but with yalls help maybe I can get a better clue as to how long these last.

I have a 2000 Dodge Durango with the 1st generation 4.7L. I have all maint. documents as it was a ChryCo Corprate vehicle. At 93K miles, I had to have the heads redone.....blown gasket between cylinders 1 & 3. Almost had to replace the heads to the tune of over $1800 just for the heads, the machine shop was JUST able to machine them within specs. Since then, I have had to replace EVERY SINGLE sensor on that motor; to include the power steering pressure sensor....really?!?! It has a valve tick, I guess the OHC motors from Dodge have a history of lash adjusters collapsing and causing valve train issues. Also, the rocker arms "jump off" and cause problems with the valve train. Its can be hard to start at times...I know, its a Dodge....... In my honest opinion, Id stay way clear of Dodges one and ONLY OHC V8. Theres a reason the Hemis are pushrod motors. Ill never buy another 4.7L powered Chrysler product. A buddy of mine had a 1999 Grand with the 1st gen 4.7L. At 73K, the oil pump quit and it threw a rod through the side of the block. Ruined the block and broke the bed plate in 3 places to include the crank journal.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

In my opinion, stick with the 4.0. It's the most reliable engine Jeep ever used. Yes, it's old school and yes, it's only 185 horses, but it will go 200K+ miles without major issues, sometimes 300K miles. With this engine, the trans is the weakest link. The 242 transfer case has the least problems. The WJ still has the other Jeep issues like suspension parts and axles.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:54 PM

Im really torn. Here is a little history... My wife and I have two kids, own a house and have very little debt, like 30k (my student loans) not including the house. We both work and make decent money. We do not want to get back into a car note. We both like the WJ (me bc I know what it can be, last year for the SFA) she likes it bc its a good sized SUV. I can pay cash up to about 10k. I'm looking for a solid DD for her and something that is capable off road for vacations and what not. I'd like to be able to pull a small pop up camper. Is the WJ with the 4.0 for us?

Also been thinking about a V8 Jeep Commander

Last edited by Troglodyte; 02-19-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 89XJ,98ZJ,72K10, 06 Tundra..

I bought one, it had dropped a valve in the head. Two friends have WJs, dropped valves in the heads. Poor design, hard to find, pricey heads....etc....
Id stay far away from what Ive seen locally.....JMHO.
BTW, Ive parted 19 XJs, all with the 4.0, and Ive seen and heard of guys now with 300K, 400K, and most recently 500K....you decide.

Stay with the 4.0 if at all possible.

Last edited by Thexjfiles; 02-19-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by lookin2wheel
I have a 2000 Dodge Durango with the 1st generation 4.7L. I have all maint. documents as it was a ChryCo Corprate vehicle. At 93K miles, I had to have the heads redone.....blown gasket between cylinders 1 & 3. Almost had to replace the heads to the tune of over $1800 just for the heads, the machine shop was JUST able to machine them within specs. Since then, I have had to replace EVERY SINGLE sensor on that motor; to include the power steering pressure sensor....really?!?! It has a valve tick, I guess the OHC motors from Dodge have a history of lash adjusters collapsing and causing valve train issues. Also, the rocker arms "jump off" and cause problems with the valve train. Its can be hard to start at times...I know, its a Dodge....... In my honest opinion, Id stay way clear of Dodges one and ONLY OHC V8. Theres a reason the Hemis are pushrod motors. Ill never buy another 4.7L powered Chrysler product. A buddy of mine had a 1999 Grand with the 1st gen 4.7L. At 73K, the oil pump quit and it threw a rod through the side of the block. Ruined the block and broke the bed plate in 3 places to include the crank journal.

x2 on everything he said about the 4.7 motor. What a trash motor! I have an 04 Overland with a 4.7HO. Every now and again I hear a rattle in the valves, sometimes its annoying to start but that I suspect is my IAC. And this summer I started getting a random cyl8 misfire. I figured, ok, ill change the plugs.. same problem then I noticed I was losing coolant out of nowhere... Turns out, BAD HEAD GASKET! The motor has never overheated in its life and I have coolant leaking into cyl8. Thank god not into the oil!
Old 02-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Okay, I hear you. I just bought a 2000 WJ Basic Laredo with 4.0. Selectrac 242 transfer, and no tow package. The vehicle was pristine, with maintenance records, and had been detailed. It cost me $4200. I've seen the same model with tow package go for $5400. It only has 128K miles on it and I expect to get at least another 100K out of it.

Does that fit your budget?

The 4.0 will "feel" the tow weight, but it should be managable. Just "drop out" of O/D on hills. A pop-up shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't tow a full size trailer much. I have a 15 ft travel trailer and it was a definite problem with my 97 ZJ 4.0. My 87 Chevy truck with the 350 didn't even know it was attached.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:43 PM

Yeah I found a 04 with 120k but the wife, who knows crap about cars, thinks that too many miles. He was asking 5400 but I feel cash is king.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

Im really torn. Here is a little history... My wife and I have two kids, own a house and have very little debt, like 30k (my student loans) not including the house. We both work and make decent money. We do not want to get back into a car note. We both like the WJ (me bc I know what it can be, last year for the SFA) she likes it bc its a good sized SUV. I can pay cash up to about 10k. I'm looking for a solid DD for her and something that is capable off road for vacations and what not. I'd like to be able to pull a small pop up camper. Is the WJ with the 4.0 for us?

Also been thinking about a V8 Jeep Commander
You sound like me..but I have a fiancé 1 kid, and less debt lol...

I bought the lady a commander...the v6 specifically. Gas mileage is going to blow regardless...if you find one go for a hemi. I got the v6 because 1...I won't be pulling anything with it other than a small utility trailer...possibly a bass boat. Also went v6 because I didn't want her having tons of power...she doesn't need it.

Got a decent deal on it for around 11k with 75k on the odo..mint interior and exterior..and a 50000k warranty that covers basically anything. I like the thing...comfy spacious interior, nice looks on the exterior, and the traction control is a nice feature and it works well. Id prefer an sfa vehicle but it wasn't for me..more of a family vehicle..it serves its purpose
Old 02-19-2013, 09:11 PM

I like the commander but all the reviews I've read are horrible. The wife I killing me. She can't decide what she wants to do.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2

Yeah I found a 04 with 120k but the wife, who knows crap about cars, thinks that too many miles. He was asking 5400 but I feel cash is king.
I have 78k on mine and I'm starting to feel like thats too many miles for it.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:09 AM
Old fart with a wrench

The basic point is the newer the vehicle, the smaller the motor and lighter the car. It's a attempt to increase mpg and make 4WD more appealing to people. ANY 4WD vehicle is going to suck gas more than a 2WD. A Given.

I know, "What about Subaru" you say. I'll grant you that, but try taking a Subaru off road and see how far you get. I've seen Subarus sliding around in the snow as I motor past them, feeling very confident I have control. So I only get 16 mpg, it's the price I'm willing to pay to get where I'm going whatever the conditions. Hell, I've only plowed my driveway once this year because I didn't want it to freeze and make walking on it dangerous.

I, personaly, wouldn't want anything newer because the newer you get, the more senseless electronics you have to worry about. Think about it seriously. Does anyone NEED dual zone climate control, GPS nav, blue tooth, Sirius radio, internet access, or any other thing that drives up the price and doesn't pertain to getting where you're going? No.

I'm an old fart and would rather DRIVE my car, rather than have my car drive me. I think a manual transfer case is better than an automatic drive system. JMHO.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 AM

I believe Dave and I are on the same page. I do not feel 120k on a 4.0 that was well taken care of it too much. I tried talking her into a 2001 XJ with 74k on but no she didn't want the older look. This is a small battle I will eventually win, but it will take some time. I told her last night that if she didn't want a 4X4 she was getting a car. What is the point of a truck or SUV that is not 4X4. I've been places I wish I'd had 4X4. Its better to have it and not need it.

My main motive for this thread was to get some insight on the 4.7 and I did. I just have to keep looking until I find the right vehicle for her. I will find her a good 4.0 WJ, which she likes. Spending any money on a car is a choice best not rushed. I will never hear the end of it if I get a clunker.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Her choice of the WJ is wise, I believe. There are so many other look-alike SUVs out there you have to see the grill or read the badges to know it's a Jeep! It is stylish and contemporary. Hell, the Mercedes even looks similar.

I'd rather own a Jeep then any other vehicle. I used to be a Chevy man. I used to own a 3/4 ton 4X4 Silverado with 33X12.5s on it. Nothing would stop it, but it was humongous! On a hunting trip, I was following a guy in a ZJ thru the woods. He went between 2 trees that would have taken out my headlights. Since then, I've owned Jeeps!

The 4.7 is weak structurally. Many of the internal parts are made from powdered metal and I question their strength. Also, any engine with a steel block and aluminum heads will have gasket problems from different thermal expansion rates. The valve train is way too complicated. JMHO.

Quick Reply: Life of a 4.7 V8