Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Leaky Laredo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2005
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8
Default Leaky Laredo?

Anyone had a problem with their 2005-ish Grand Cherokee leaking when it rains heavily? Ours did it when we first picked it up from CarMax -- the rain would start dripping from the A-pillar's plastic area. There are two holes on that pillar that have plastic caps on them, and the water drips out those caps when it rains heavily.

THe first time it happened, CarMax said there was a tube that drains water from the sunroof that was clogged, so they replaced that tube. Now it's happening again, and I'm trying to do some research before I take it in and see what it might be.

I'm not real happy with this development, since this car gets parked outside and will be the one covered with snow when we get our big snowstorms here. So I'd like to figure it out pretty quick.

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2009, 08:38 AM

Hmmmm...this is what I've found so far:

Analysis has found the following possible causes for water leakage at these locations:

1. A pinched or collapsed front sunroof drain tube (left or right side) between the headliner and metal roof panel at the outboard sun visor attachment. The pinched front drain tube(s) may cause water to backup in the tube and overflow the sunroof water trough.

2. A body sealer void at top of A-pillar where the front edge of the roof panel is joined to the A-pillar (body side aperture). A sufficient quantity of the body sealer may not have been applied to the joint.

3. A windshield sealer void at the top of the A-pillar. The front edge of the roof panel causes a "step" in the joint with the A-pillar that if severe enough the windshield sealer may not be able to fully compensate for.

4. A restricted rear sunroof drain tube (left or right side) near the exit end of the drain tube. The rear sunroof drain tube is routed down along the C-pillar. The end of the tube(s) may turn back on itself during installation at the bottom of the C-pillar. Sound deadening foam is applied to the C-pillar cavity once the drain tube is installed. The sound deadener may close off the end of the drain tube.

ALSO
The customer may experience a water leak that appears to be coming from: the headliner above the front and/or rear door, the A-Pillar interior trim and/or grab handle, the grab handle above the rear door. The customer may experience a wet

floor carpet where the A-Pillar, B-Pillar, or C-Pillar mate to the vehicle floor panel.

This condition may be caused by voids in the baked-on body adhesive between the vehicle body and the metal retainer used to support the door secondary seal. The retainer runs from the A-Pillar to the C-Pillar.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Open both doors on the side of the vehicle where the water leak is present.
2. Remove the door secondary seal fully from its metal retainer.(this is the seal that runs along the roof line)
3. Make certain that the metal retainer and local body area is clean and dry.
4. Carefully apply a small bead of Silicone Windshield & Glass Sealer to retainer-to-body joints (above and below retainer) and to front of "T"-section
5. Tighten the retainer fasteners to 10 in. lbs.
NOTE: Do not remove the door secondary seal metal retainer from the vehicle. Do not remove old "baked-on" adhesive. Thumb new sealer over old adhesive. Make certain air bubble voids and missing adhesive voids are covered over.
6. Allow the silicone sealer to air dry.
7. Install the door secondary seal.
8. Close doors.
I hope that this helps

[/color]
Old 07-12-2009, 09:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

From the http://www.wkjeeps.com/ site under "TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins), section 23-Body, there is a TSB #23-050-04 Water leak in area of A-Pillar grab handle or overhead console. http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_tsb.htm#BODY
NOTE: Have two windows open when/if you try to read it. My system wasn't compatible and got stuck on that page, so I went to the other window to close the first one down. Just a heads up.
Also I don't know if that TSB is your issue, and if so, if it should be handled by the dealer or CarMax.
Dan
Old 07-12-2009, 09:29 AM

Thanks. Looks like the justanswers.com link was basically cut-and-pasted from that TSB. So CarMax probably had the right idea, they just didn't fix it exactly right. I'll actually HAND them the TSB this time when I take it back. LOL. That'll go over well, I'm sure.

THanks again!