Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Just got a 93 ZJ and in need of some lift ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 10:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Just got a 93 ZJ and in need of some lift ?'s

Ok so im looking for the cheapest lift i can possibly get...reason being im planning on saving for a taller lift next year and i just want a cheap one to get me by till then...so that being said, i've heard of the front to rear swap of the coils...would it be possible/a good idea to just get coils from the front of a zj at a jy, put them in the rear and then just put 3" spacers up front? I know i'll need new shocks, is there anything else i will also need with this setup?(lca's, t-case drop, extended brake lines, etc.)
Old 10-13-2011, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Kyle 4x4 4life
Ok so im looking for the cheapest lift i can possibly get...reason being im planning on saving for a taller lift next year and i just want a cheap one to get me by till then...so that being said, i've heard of the front to rear swap of the coils...would it be possible/a good idea to just get coils from the front of a zj at a jy, put them in the rear and then just put 3" spacers up front? I know i'll need new shocks, is there anything else i will also need with this setup?(lca's, t-case drop, extended brake lines, etc.)
Control arms, brake lines and probably new trackbars front and rear. Might as well go with new front coils as well, it'll work much better and is only marginally more then 3" spacers, if not the same.

The CHEAPEST option is 4 2" spacers

another option is the F<R swap, 4.0 springs in the back and V8 springs in the front, trackbar relocating mounts and LCA's.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 5.2

Save up and get a good lift. Spend the money on the stuff you will need for that lift now like a sye,break lines and drive shaft.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 721
Control arms, brake lines and probably new trackbars front and rear. Might as well go with new front coils as well, it'll work much better and is only marginally more then 3" spacers, if not the same.

The CHEAPEST option is 4 2" spacers

another option is the F<R swap, 4.0 springs in the back and V8 springs in the front, trackbar relocating mounts and LCA's.
Ok so with just the 2" spacers all around i would only need shocks right?

Originally Posted by Zj heep
Save up and get a good lift. Spend the money on the stuff you will need for that lift now like a sye,break lines and drive shaft.
Im gonna do that all at once next year or so when i get it all saved up...im getting married in a few weeks and wont have much money for awhile...so thats the whole reason on getting a cheapo lift now so it has some hieght and a little bigger tires(feel like a fairy driving it all stock)...fyi this is not my dd, i will only be driving this to and from work(2 blocks from my house) and the rest will be off roading and hunting...also the jeep is ugly and has a quite a bit of miles...so before i spend the big bucks on the expensive lift i wanna make sure it'll even last awhile without completly crapping out.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:43 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Kyle 4x4 4life
Ok so with just the 2" spacers all around i would only need shocks right?
New shocks are nice but no, you don't need them.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:49 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 721
New shocks are nice but no, you don't need them.
My shocks are beyond shot, so I need the either way...just making sure that's all I need