Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

just bought 2000 gc need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default just bought 2000 gc need help

So a little over a week ago I bought a 2000 GCL I had a problem the following day when I filled the gas up the tank was leaking. The leaking stopped after the fuel level dropped. The check engine light came on and I'm getting evap codes. I had a shop check the tank and no holes. Also in this passed week there have been 3 instances where I had the jeep running but in park for 15 min give or take then turned off and when I go to start back up the whole car is shaking and I push the gas with no effect till a couple mins after I start the jeep. When I remove th gas cap there is no sound of a pressure release. I don't have any real experience with this. So I need some help please. Also the front end makes a creaking or cracking noise when I hit bumps on the road while moving at a slow speed. Shocks? I have no idea I just had the tie rods replaced yesterday still noisy though...
Old 10-10-2014, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

Originally Posted by chase.ray89
So a little over a week ago I bought a 2000 GCL I had a problem the following day when I filled the gas up the tank was leaking. The leaking stopped after the fuel level dropped. The check engine light came on and I'm getting evap codes. I had a shop check the tank and no holes. Also in this passed week there have been 3 instances where I had the jeep running but in park for 15 min give or take then turned off and when I go to start back up the whole car is shaking and I push the gas with no effect till a couple mins after I start the jeep. When I remove th gas cap there is no sound of a pressure release. I don't have any real experience with this. So I need some help please. Also the front end makes a creaking or cracking noise when I hit bumps on the road while moving at a slow speed. Shocks? I have no idea I just had the tie rods replaced yesterday still noisy though...
Sounds like the fuel pump gasket might be leaking were it is mounted in the gas tank. Also look at the fuel cap O ring and make sure it is not old and brittle, or just go out and purchase a new fuel cap. I know in California were i live they will actually remove my fuel cap and hook it up to a machine to make sure the cap is sealing and no gas vapors are not leaking bye to pass California smog.

One more thing about the fuel tank, i have never had to drop my fuel tank in my 2000 G.C. to verify this, but i am wondering if the metal filler hose is a two piece unit and uses a O ring to seal it to the gas tank like my 57 Chevy does, just a idea.

I also just replaced all 4 shocks on my G.C. since it sounds like it was making the same noise as yours, and what a night and day difference, and the Jeep rides so much better with no more strange clunking sounds. But then again, the rubber bushing's that the shock uses to mount it to the upper mounts were all but gone, and they were just about metal to metal.

Last edited by maddogs1965; 10-10-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 5.7l HEMI

What codes are you getting? Is it a Large or a Minor Evap Leak. You could have a broken or loose vent tube coming off the top of the tank. Have a reputable shop smoke your fuel system to pinpoint where the leak is. As for the engine running rough I would have the fuel pressure checked to make sure its holding after shut down..