Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Jeep WJ help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default Jeep WJ help!

if anyone knows or is a mechanic that can work on my jeep please let me know i live in Youngstown,OH! I'm willing to drive some distance if i have too. i have a 1999 jeep grand cherokee and having some strange problems with it. it has 115,000 miles and is all wheel drive
problems
1. grinding noise when i turn the wheel sometimes (mainly sharp turns)
2. oil pressure dropping and going back up randomly
3. when putting the car in drive the shifter isn't smooth, feels kind of loose and you have to like set it into drive or it hesitates then locks into drive

PLEASE AND THANK YOU
Old 12-22-2011, 12:52 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

a. Check cv joints if applicable.. usually a damaged boot lets the grease out and dirt in.
b. If you're using 4wd on dry surface, don't. It will make noise that might sound like 'grinding' and can damage your transfer case.

a. Oil pressure drops and rises normally depending on engine speed.. If it's not just due to that, replace your oil sending unit (mopar part is usually recommended)

3. when putting the car in drive the shifter isn't smooth, feels kind of loose and you have to like set it into drive or it hesitates then locks into drive
a. That sounds like you could have loose linkage in the shifter itself. I'd check that first.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:12 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 5.2L

Originally Posted by kjc
b. If you're using 4wd on dry surface, don't. It will make noise that might sound like 'grinding' and can damage your transfer case.
it's kinda hard to not use 4wd when he has a quadratrac, or awd like he said. If its an awd setup, it has 4wd all time for pavement driving, and 4 lo for crawling out of something. Otherwise I feel that you are right.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 4jeXep4
if anyone knows or is a mechanic that can work on my jeep please let me know i live in Youngstown,OH! I'm willing to drive some distance if i have too. i have a 1999 jeep grand cherokee and having some strange problems with it. it has 115,000 miles and is all wheel drive
problems

PLEASE AND THANK YOU
Might be able to answer a few of your questions/ concerns.

1. Change your diff fluid. When you do that, make sure you add some friction modifier. Those Quadradrive systems require friction modifier, and if there's none & or not enough the diff will grind when making sharp turns.

2. Does your oil pressure gauge read within the normal limits at all times? If it drops down to 0 when you stop, and goes up when you take off, it's most likely the oil pressure sensor. That's an easy thing to change.

3. I wouldn't be too worried about the shifter, as long as the transmission shifts smoothly.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:10 PM

thanks a lot for all your responses, i will try these out and let you know how it works out!
Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2011, 08:16 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by Michael4
it's kinda hard to not use 4wd when he has a quadratrac, or awd like he said. If its an awd setup, it has 4wd all time for pavement driving, and 4 lo for crawling out of something. Otherwise I feel that you are right.
oops.. I misinterpreted all wheel drive as 4 wheel drive. I blame it on death wobble