Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Jeep is jerking me(really). Please help.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep is jerking me(really). Please help.

Hello. I am the proud owner of a 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo. In the past I had issues with it not starting (owner let it sit in field for a year b4 selling it to me as a non running suv) The pick up coil or sensor was the problem.

It has ran like a champ until recently. While driving the jeep starts jerking. Not like a transmission slip, but the entire vehicle jerks. It then dies. The fuel gauge is not working, so I figured I ran out of gas. After putting in more gas and letting it sit after a couple tries it ran without the jerking. It has now done this within the last two weeks and is making me a nervous wreck. It gives not warning.

I calculate my miles by what I put in at each filling. Also, all times the ac is running. If anyone knows what this could be please tell me. The rpms during the jerking struggle to go up as I press on the gas. (pressing on the gas does nothing but keep it barely moving and it jerking)
Thanks ahead for any info!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 06:52 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 stock

Oh We had a car that did the same thing.

Check your spark plugs for oil and you might have oil in your water. If thats the case one of those seals will need replacing and it will continue to get worse till it wont run unless you have the gas pressed. Ours started to quit when we stopped.

Let me know and I will get the info for what he changed. Its not a hard fix and now it runs like a champ.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by vicmartin
Hello. I am the proud owner of a 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo. In the past I had issues with it not starting (owner let it sit in field for a year b4 selling it to me as a non running suv) The pick up coil or sensor was the problem.

It has ran like a champ until recently. While driving the jeep starts jerking. Not like a transmission slip, but the entire vehicle jerks. It then dies. The fuel gauge is not working, so I figured I ran out of gas. After putting in more gas and letting it sit after a couple tries it ran without the jerking. It has now done this within the last two weeks and is making me a nervous wreck. It gives not warning.

I calculate my miles by what I put in at each filling. Also, all times the ac is running. If anyone knows what this could be please tell me. The rpms during the jerking struggle to go up as I press on the gas. (pressing on the gas does nothing but keep it barely moving and it jerking)
Thanks ahead for any info!!!
check the wiring to the sensor might be laying on the head grounging out
Old 05-31-2011, 10:01 AM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

^ This, ZJ's are great for loose wiring.

Also, more information. When does it do this jerking. I know you said randomly, but first thing when you start driving, colder temps, or does it do it when it's up to temp, highway driving, lower speeds, etc. etc.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:23 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0
Smile

Check Engine light on? If so, check for O2 sensor code......Best of luck
Old 05-31-2011, 01:33 PM

Default More Info on My Jeep

Thanks for all the quick responses. The check engine light came on a couple months ago, but it still runs so I drive it. I took it to Auto Zone and they printed off 4 things and one was the part I had just replaced (crankshift sensor and pick up coil) so I didn't worry too much.

We drive it 10 to 15 miles. Leave it while we go shop or whatever. Come back and seems on our way home it does the jerking. The car is warmed up. The ac seems to have always been on(maybe once it wasn't). We are usually going 30-40 mph. I have drove it today with no issues and I haven't used the ac. I am just playing the waiting game.
Thanks!!!

Last edited by vicmartin; 05-31-2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: more infor