Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Issues trying to fuel up

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline V6
Default Issues trying to fuel up

Ive had my 97 Grand Cherokee Laredo for a few months now, it had this wierd thing that it does when I fuel up. I can see the gas coming out of the neck and hear it gurgling up the neck after I pump about a half or a gallon of gas. It clicks the pump off and generally gives me carpal tunnel. My uncle, whos owned more jeeps than any other vehicle says its normal for that year because of the stupid emissions regulations.... please for the love of mud tell me that this IS indeed normal and I dont have to drop the tank or do anything with the gas lines... REALLY dont have the time or patients for that right now!
Thanks
Old 08-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I had the same problem with my 97 ZJ. What I did was pull the nozzle back out about 2" and then it worked fine. I think it had something to do with the vent system not relieving air fast enough so the fuel backed up the pipe enough to trip the nozzle. I don't know where you are, but I've heard the California nozzle system is the worst in this respect. The anti-rollover valve has a lot to do with how fast the vapors vent.

About the carpel tunnel. In New York state, most stations don't have the hold-open feature on the nozzles and the pumps are slow. What I've done before is jam the gas cap under the trigger to hold it open. It won't hold it wide open, but it saves my wrist. I've seen people put insulated gloves on in cold weather because of this.

It's a Jeep thing!

Just read your signature. Ohio isn't very far away.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline V6

oh thank goodness! Im glad its not just me that has to do this. lol people look at me like Im an imbecile when Im fueling up. Takes me almost 10 to 15 minutes to fill the tank, Im definitely ready to try out my Jeep in the snow, but not looking forward to taking 20 mins to fill my tank in a foot of snow!
Old 08-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

As far as snow is concerned, with a good set of tires, nothing's going to stop it. Been there, done it, got the t-shirt! I personally like the General Grabber AT2s. I've pushed thru snow up to the headlights with them. They are rated as an all-season tire so you don't have to pull them off in the summer. They do sing a bit, but not offensively. With a little too much torque, they peel turf badly. The Firestone Winterguards are good also, and a bit cheaper, although they wear faster. If you're planning to rough it a lot in the woods, you might want something more aggressive. Your choice.