Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Introduction and a. technical question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Introduction and a. technical question

Hello all. My name is John and I am new here. We have a 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo. Its been a fairly good car. So far both the mirrors are kind of broke (they won't stay in place, someone in a parking lot pushed them in and now they are loose and only sometimes stay in place) and the drivers power seat is malfunctioning and kind of stays in one place. But that's all inconvenience issues. My question is this; the passenger side rear window regulator has decided my holiday gift this year is that it was going to quit while my wife is out of town and driving that car. Its scheduled to rain on Tuesday. So I ask is this a hard job for one of slightly limited ability? If the internet is any guide, it appears not. However, one should not judge too quickly is what I have learned. So what say you all?
Old 12-23-2012, 08:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Watch each of these videos a few times, if you pay attention you should be able to do this repair. Good luck, its an easy repair
Old 12-23-2012, 09:14 PM

Thanks. I really appreciate it.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome to CF. While the above videos are nice, they're for the XJ, not the WJ like you have. This will show how to replace the regulator. >Jeepin.com » Replacing a WJ Window Regulator

We had the regulator fail recently on our '04 WJ. After checking it out on the internet, I found the common cause to be the plastic cable anchor would break. And rather than paying for a complete regulator for $150.00, many people order an aluminum anchor from Digital Tuning Inc here for $29.95.>http://pocketlogger.com/?pid=jpw
Unfortunately, I had to have it fixed the same day, so I had to get a new regulator. It was fairly easy to replace though. Just get some replacement clips that attach the door panel, as some will break when removing your door panel, no matter how careful you are, even using the trim tool.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Hey Blue. Just a thought. Is there an easy way to just get the window up to be repaired on another day? I remember a Chevy that the window linkage channel broke off the bottom of the glass. We got it up and wedged it with wooden clothspins and duct tape. It was snowing at the time and we had to work outside.

About the mirrors, I think there are springs inside the mounts. The seat may be a wiring issue. Chances of the motors burning out all at once are slim.

Last edited by dave1123; 12-24-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:11 AM

Springs in the mirrors sound about right but how do you get to them? And it might be a swing and a miss on the seat, the motor works but its like it came off a track. Sound plausible? And how to get at that too? Thanks and happy new year to all on this forum!
Old 12-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

You'll have to dismount the whole assembly from the door. It's funny, but just last night I saw a guy that wrapped his with duct tape! The Haynes repair manual, or most others, will show you where the bolts are.

I think you'll have to remove the seat from the car as well. You have to work on the bottom of it. My brothers Chevy had power seats and on his there is a shaft the goes from one side to the other with gears on both ends and one that meshes with the motor gearbox. It's probably a mount or alignment issue that made the gears not mesh. On my brothers, one of the end gears came loose so one side was driving and the other side was locked in place. His answer was a single shot with a welder! I said "Why don't you look for a set screw?" He replied "Nah, this is more fun!" At which point he almost set the seat on fire! He's not a redneck, he's my brother. Although sometimes I wonder!

A word of fair warning. The seat mounting bolts are Torx, I believe. Anyway, have a safe and sane holiday season. Please don't drink and drive.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:11 PM

Thank you for the tips.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Sorry for the delay if you've already fixed your seat, I've been sick.
If not, you might consider this: >http://www.jeepseatbracket.com/