Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Intermittent Airbag Warning Light

Old 03-14-2015, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: (sept.) 2008
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 3L diesel
Default Intermittent Airbag Warning Light

I have a late 2008 3L diesel (made 09/2008 - the 2009 diesel was not sold in Canada) with 330K kilometers (200K miles) on it without any airbag deployment history. Recently when I hooked up a trailer I noticed my airbag idiot light came on and stayed on except when the vehicle had slowed to a stop or sometimes when the turn signal had been active. The trailer had been towed previously without problems and nothing else was amiss except the light this time. The problem started as soon as the trailer was hooked up and was not a result of rough terrain driving or weather related road conditions. It continued after the trailer was dropped. It appears to resolve by resetting the base electronics via a battery disconnect and sometimes with a restart. It however re-occurs within a hundred feet once the GC is driven.

I suspect my trailer may have sent a stay current into the Jeep due to a minor short and that this triggered the problem. Other thoughts are that there may be a fluid level or leakage issue for which this light's flashing is a code (doubtful as fluids appear at normal levels and there is no evidence of leakage). It is unlikely this has anything to do with a clock spring or connections because it did not happen while driving on anything by normal roads and has resolved without smacking the dash or fiddling with the wiring harnesses. Likewise, the fuses are not likely a source as they have not been touched and the problem has disappeared for now.

Has anybody else had something like this happen?
How is Jeep on SRS warranty work? Some companies cover these systems for years after the rest of their warranties have run out.

Last edited by raynorshine; 03-14-2015 at 10:38 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-15-2015, 09:05 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Okay, I had an intermittent airbag light on my '00 WJ and it turned out to be an open squib circuit in the steering wheel caused by the clockspring. This was diagnosed by the dealer and repaired for $655, including part cost of $299.

The PCM monitors the ABS system continually and if a fault is discovered, sets the ABS light. The fault could be anywhere in the system and can only be located with diagnostic equipment. In my case the driver's airbag would not have deployed in an accident. The USUAL cause is the clockspring, but it could be something else.

Underneath the steering column, there is a little 2-wire pair with a white connector. I separated that connector, cleaned the contacts, and reassembled it. That seemed to cure my problem for a while, but it didn't last.

You'll have to check the recall list. Some jeeps were recalled for airbag problems involving the clockspring or bad squibs. (Squibs are the inflater charge.)
Old 03-22-2015, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: (sept.) 2008
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 3L diesel

You are probably correct. The longer this goes on the more I see it corresponding to steering wheel movement
Thanks