Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

if you have dealt with rear end swaps in wjs please rear. need help fast

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default if you have dealt with rear end swaps in wjs please rear. need help fast

Ok, so long story short. Wife needs jeep in less than two weeks. We are broke from lack of work hours and layoff at my plant. Im trying to find the cheapest fix. Im buying one jeep with new tires and a bad motor. Swapping wheels and tires then selling the parts jeep for hopefully about the same pRice. Essentially giving us much needed free tires.

2nd issue
I have a 1999 jeep grand cherokee with the quadra trac 2 option. The rear end is shot. I need to swap. I found a guy at work whose son has a 2000 grand cherokee with same motor but it has the selec trac option. So my question is, can i swap these rear ends out without costly modifications or would i have to swap the transfer case as well. Are these reara ends compatible with my quadra trac 2 option and transfer case? Will the rear drive shaft work, all components ect. Really need a hand here Fellas. If there is modifications needed. What are the steps to making this swap happen?

Thanks much for the feedback
joe
Old 04-20-2015, 10:57 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

I believe the axles are the same as long as they are both 4.0s. They should be Dana 35's. Make sure the ratios are the same on the front and rear. The ratio should be listed on a tag under one of the cover bolts. As far as I know, the standard ratio is 3.55 unless it has the tow package, then it will be 3.73. The tow package includes a trailer hitch, an aux trans cooler, and a trailer lighting module.

If you're buying the one with the 242 Selectrac, I'd keep the t/case for the future. I've owned 2 jeeps with the 242 and never had any trouble with them. The Quadra Trac II system uses a torque sensing front differential that will lock in the axle that's slipping. IDK how compatible it is with the 242. It probably isn't.

Last edited by dave1123; 04-20-2015 at 11:01 AM.