Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Hyper turn signal repair help!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Hyper turn signal repair help!!!!!!!

Ok so on my 02 wj I brought some led turn signal bulbs and I'm getting a hyper flash so I brought some load resistors to slow down the hyper flashing. the only thing I kno You hook up one wire to the positive side and the other wire to the negative side.I don't know where in the wire harness for my turn signal is the right wire to install these resistor to. I try to look it up on Google anywhere on the Internet and on the forums and no luck. The picture below is the three wires to the turn signal. but I don't know which one to hook it up to if anybody can help me
Attached Thumbnails Hyper turn signal repair help!!!!!!!-1486041232748.jpeg   Hyper turn signal repair help!!!!!!!-img_1791.jpg  

Last edited by towman79; 02-02-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Normally, I wouldn't comment on this because of how atrocious the post is but I will with good faith you'll go back and clean up your grammatical errors that way we can make sense of what you're trying to say.

This is pretty basic wiring. What you need to do is figure out what each wire does going to the bulb socket. Again, basic stuff here. You need a test light or multimeter. I prefer a test light since you don't actually need to measure voltage.

First, turn on your turn signal according to the side you're working with (no other lights on). With your test light properly grounded, probe the wires. The test light will flash in sequence with the bulb when you find the right wire. This is where you install your resistor. Repeat for other side. Edited for accuracy. I also suggest soldering them in. Don't use those red quick connectors, they're garbage and should not even exist on this planet.

Please do yourself a favor and research how inline resistors work so you get a proper understanding of what you're doing. Also know that they will and do get HOT. It's usually a good idea to mount the resistor to a metal surface or somewhere it will get circulation. If you mount it on or near plastic it will melt it.

Last edited by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ; 02-03-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:21 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

It seems to me, and I am not an electrician, but I think if you cut the ground wire and installed the resistor into it, everything going thru the bulb would be routed thru the resistor.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

The resistor needs to be installed from the 12v power for the turn signal to the ground. You are increasing the resistance across the circuit not trying to increase the resistance of the 12v supply.

You have 3 wires on your plug. One is ground, one is power to make the signal flash and the third will be power for a running light or brake light in some cases. I haven't looked at your specific jeep schematics so you will have to do your homework to find out what wire color is for which. Or test it yourself with a simple test light.

I drew a schematic that will hopefully help you out.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by LACK
The resistor needs to be installed from the 12v power for the turn signal to the ground. You are increasing the resistance across the circuit not trying to increase the resistance of the 12v supply.

You have 3 wires on your plug. One is ground, one is power to make the signal flash and the third will be power for a running light or brake light in some cases. I haven't looked at your specific jeep schematics so you will have to do your homework to find out what wire color is for which. Or test it yourself with a simple test light.

I drew a schematic that will hopefully help you out.

ya I'm trying to do my homework but I can't find and info on what wire is what thanks man
Old 02-03-2017, 09:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by towman79
ya I'm trying to do my homework but I can't find and info on what wire is what thanks man
Go get yourself a cheap little 12v test light. You can buy them at any auto parts store for 5-6 bucks.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by LACK
Go get yourself a cheap little 12v test light. You can buy them at any auto parts store for 5-6 bucks.
ok thanks