Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

how to test transmission solenoids?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default how to test transmission solenoids?

Is there a way to test the shifting solenoids in a 2002 jeep grand cherokee? getting a po740 code and shifting/lock up problems already changed tps with new one
Old 12-23-2009, 03:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: AMC242

Two ways I can think of:

1) Find a wiring diagram (best way to do it - since it also checks for wiring faults.) Isolate the power and ground leads for the soenoid you're testing. NB: The solenoids may have a "common ground" (several solenoids, one ground return. Solenoids are switched "on" by the TCU/SMEC.) Apply +12VDC to the leads, and listen for the "click" of the solenoid kicking closed. You may need to remove the sump and put your finger on the solenoid case to feel it - some of them are rather quiet.

2) Find a wiring diagram, isolate the leads, et al as above. Find the resistance spec of the solenoids (I don't know it offhand.) It's going to be a range - add an ohm or so for the wiring and connexions between the harness plug and the solenoid proper, and test resistance.

If you don't get a useful result using either method when you damned well should, track the wiring down to the next connector and try again. Bear in mind that not all "parts failures" are actual parts failures - it's amazing how many times I've fixed a wiring fault when someone else has thrown parts at the thing. Always check for a wiring fault as part of your initial troubleshooting!

Don't forget to check for ground faults as well. It's amazing how many automotive electrical problems I've tracked to shonky grounds in the last 30 years...
Old 12-23-2009, 06:10 AM

Default tranny solenoids

thanks! Ill try that tonight when i get home from work. I'll also try unpluging the TCU and see if I can manually shift the tranny through the gears.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:27 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Check this thread here that I have going on my 93.

There are good diagrams within this thread.

You should get 11-15 OHMs resistance on the solenoids.

Make sure you disconnect them from the TCU if you plan on applying power to them manually to cycle them, you don't want to back feed power into the TCU.

Here is the thread:

Check this thread HERE
Old 12-23-2009, 04:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by SteveW
Check this thread here that I have going on my 93.

There are good diagrams within this thread.

You should get 11-15 OHMs resistance on the solenoids.

Make sure you disconnect them from the TCU if you plan on applying power to them manually to cycle them, you don't want to back feed power into the TCU.

Here is the thread:

Check this thread HERE
Your 1993 is probably the AW4. His 2002 will be a 42RE (242ci) or 46RE (318ci) - both of which are Chrysler units, and therefore may have different solenoids than the AW4. Else, I'd have given him the AW4 spec of 13+/-2 ohms...

Just sayin'. The AW4 was only used in the ZJ w/242ci 1993-1993.5, when it was replaced with the 42RE using an AMC-patterened bellhousing. The 318 always got the 46RH/46RE slushbox. He didn't mention his engine, but it being a 2002 means it definitely won't be an AW4...
Old 12-24-2009, 10:19 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

My bad, I didn't catch the year.

Yeah, I have one of the few ZJ's that got the AW4 for the 1/2 year.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:37 AM

Default update, transmission solenoids test

well Soory for the delay but I finally got the gov pres. , and shift,tcc solenoids replaced. The holidays really made it difficult to get the parts.

Unfortunately, after filling back up with atf+4 the jeep will not go anywhere its like its in neutral even when I put it in reverse and increase the idle it only rolls a few inches slowly!

This is exactly how it was acting when I pulled it in the garage two weeks ago so evidently I did nothing to fix the problem! also as of yet I am not getting any new codes since i cleard them prior to starting it up today.

Do I need to start looking for a tranny!? please help!
Old 01-14-2010, 07:01 AM

well everyone, after replacing the solenoids and still no luck I removed the transmission and had a tranny guy rebuild it and install new torque converter.
The overdrive unit was cooked! and the clutch basket/drum in the rear of the tranny that the shaft that drives the od unit goes through broke where the shaft slides through the center. I was able to see the tranny after the tear down so I visually saw the damaged parts.

got the tranny home and in last night, put 10qts in, a few at a a time while cycling the engine and gear selector then rechecking. I took the jeep down off the jack stands and I have no reverse! Also twice when starting I had to jiggle the shift lever in park to start the car. When I move the selector to reverse the rev. lights come on and I can hear the tranny shift but it wont move! I reved the engine alittle and nothing!

What do I do now? I'm calling the tranny guy when he opens this morning! Anyone have this problem before?
Old 02-14-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by ESRmotorsports
well everyone, after replacing the solenoids and still no luck I removed the transmission and had a tranny guy rebuild it and install new torque converter.
The overdrive unit was cooked! and the clutch basket/drum in the rear of the tranny that the shaft that drives the od unit goes through broke where the shaft slides through the center. I was able to see the tranny after the tear down so I visually saw the damaged parts.

got the tranny home and in last night, put 10qts in, a few at a a time while cycling the engine and gear selector then rechecking. I took the jeep down off the jack stands and I have no reverse! Also twice when starting I had to jiggle the shift lever in park to start the car. When I move the selector to reverse the rev. lights come on and I can hear the tranny shift but it wont move! I reved the engine alittle and nothing!

What do I do now? I'm calling the tranny guy when he opens this morning! Anyone have this problem before?
Did you fill the torque converter with fluid before install?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by ESRmotorsports

What turned out to be the remedy for no reverse. I am working on the same transmission with the same problem I just installed into a 95 ZJ?

Steve