Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

How does this vehicle history sound on this 2004 WJ 4.7

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO
Default How does this vehicle history sound on this 2004 WJ 4.7

For starters here is the add: 2004 Laredo, 4.7, Quadra-trac II, 90,000 miles currently.

Selling my beautiful one owner 90k mile 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo v8 4x4 in excellent condition inside and out. Exterior is a really nice. Lack pearl in excellent shape with no cosmetic defects and is rust free. Interior is a grey cloth and look like new throughout with zero signs of wear and still has original airbag stick on the glove box. Mechanically she had been kept up perfectly with a recent exhaust replacement not long ago, just recently replaced the valve cover gaskets and spark plugs along with all me cooling system components ( radiator,water pump, and thermostat). Has absolutely no leaks or issues. Tires all have about 80+ % tread remaining . This Jeep still drives and runs absolutely excellent with no issues or items that need to be addressed. Asking 4500

Found out that the guy selling is not the "1 owner" but buys wholesale dealer trade-ins and sells them. He owns a car repair/tire shop.

Found out the vehicle had 2 owners before this guy purchased it. There is a pretty detailed service history of the vehicle at dealerships throughout its history. Oil changes at regular intervals, brakes changed etc.

In 2006 the jeep rear-ended another vehicle. Minor damage, air bags did not deploy.

At 64,433 miles (6/2011), transmission serviced, filter changed

At 69,888 miles (2/20120, Front and rear differential fluid changed

Continued oil changes, last one being at 88,361 miles in 2/2016.

The add is a little misleading so not real happy about that. I would have to drive 3 hrs to check this out so I am really trying to make sure. So with everything mentioned and maintance being key on the 4.7 what do you think?
Old 04-02-2017, 08:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

good luck!
Old 04-02-2017, 09:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0/4.7

It IS a beautiful looking jeep but there begs the question of why all the dishonesty in the ad for it... I can understand the withholding of the minor accident in the ad but then again, honesty would likely get you further in the eyes of the potential buyers... The low milage is a very good selling point and that it's been we'll maintained, my 4.7 jeep has 227,000 and change on it and it still runs like new. I use it to tow my 99 grand around on a dollie. A 3 hour trip to check it out though should almost be a thing of ease in knowing, " I'm buying it" so I feel your pain in that one. As RRX said, good luck with it.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by 00_WJ_4.0
It IS a beautiful looking jeep but there begs the question of why all the dishonesty in the ad for it... I can understand the withholding of the minor accident in the ad but then again, honesty would likely get you further in the eyes of the potential buyers... The low milage is a very good selling point and that it's been we'll maintained, my 4.7 jeep has 227,000 and change on it and it still runs like new. I use it to tow my 99 grand around on a dollie. A 3 hour trip to check it out though should almost be a thing of ease in knowing, " I'm buying it" so I feel your pain in that one. As RRX said, good luck with it.
Yeah my thoughts too. Supposed to go tomorrow if I'm buying it. Up in the air about it at the moment. Thanks for the response.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:02 AM
Seasoned Member

You're very welcome. Just look it over good and go from there.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Sounds like the ad for my 2004 GJ 4.7 SE...i bought it about a year ago with 112,000 miles..bought it thru a mechanic who said he was selling it for a customer whose husband passed away...told me it was serviced by him since new and he had receipts for maintenance work that was done over the years but he must've " forgot " to give me receipts for the head gasket job he did on it...i found out months later that one head gasket was replaced...dont know if other damage occurred...so dont believe anything YOU READ...people are out to make money and they'll lie and deceive anyone to get it...I specifically asked the mechanic if any major work was done on it!!!! His reply was " no..just routine maintenance " always remember..."BUYER BEWARE "
Old 04-04-2017, 08:44 AM

The temptation to see it in person was too much to resist. So me and the wife drove 3 hrs one way to do check it out. Before driving down, I told the guy I was going to look at everything and to tell me if there is anything wrong with it, not mentioned in the ad. He said nothing was wrong. I get there and meet the guy. Again, this guy is a friend of the mechanic who "owns" this. He buys wholesale and resells. So I start asking him questions and he said let me ask the owner and starts to walk over to his car. I figure he's going to call him or something. It's now pretty dark but I notice, the "owner" is sitting in the vehicle. Weird. Just get out and answer my questions. He finally did.

It looked pretty good in person similar to the pictures. However, the rear bumper where the notch sticks out on the passenger side was hit. The passenger rear taillight was cracked and would have needed replacing. Small stuff but it would have been nice to be told.

Everything looked good in the engine and underneath looked solid. Ball joints, suspension bushings and parts all looked good. We good for a drive and I immediately notice a rough idle. Mind you the vehicle is not cold as the guy drove to the location where we were meeting him. It drove nice, braked nice etc. I did hear what sounded like a possible transmission whine. I had never driven an AWD cherokee so wasn't sure of the noise but wasn't crazy about it. It also continued to have a pretty rough idle.

Finish the drive and go to test the A/C. Doesn't work. Pissed because I asked if everything worked before coming and was told yes. I asked the guy who worked on it and he said he had to evacuate the system while doing the valve cover gaskets, radiator and some other work but it only needed to be recharged. I am a 4.0 guy and never worked on this 4.7 before. So that may be true but I ask him, "you didn't think to charge the system before attempted to sell?" He responded that he works crazy hours and forgot to do it. Then later says he doesn't recharge the system when it's cold outside because it doesn't a charge properly. It was the single temp control so I wasn't worried about the blend door issue.

I need AC in the hot North East summers. And since I really didn't have a way to check the compressor or to make sure it wasn't leaking, combined with the other issues, I passed. Even after driving all that way. Extremely frustrating. I really didn't feel like chasing down the rough idle. He claimed to have just replaced all of the spark plugs but it was a really pronounced rough idle. I mean you could really feel it in the seat.

I guess just part of the adventure. I pretty much have looked at every Jeep for sale in the Northeast up to Boston and haven't found too many others that fit my criteria. The search continues! Thanks all for the help thus far.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Man that really does suck but I would have passed too unless they were willing to take a big chunk of $$$ off. When I went to get my Jeep I questioned the guy on everything. He told me straight up the correct condition and previous history. He said it was used by a teenager and to expect it to be dirty inside and out. Plus he had no problem telling me that it was in 2 minor accidents. This was all before I went to look at it. When I got there, it was actually in better condition then what he said. I wish all people selling vehicles could be like that.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
Man that really does suck but I would have passed too unless they were willing to take a big chunk of $$$ off. When I went to get my Jeep I questioned the guy on everything. He told me straight up the correct condition and previous history. He said it was used by a teenager and to expect it to be dirty inside and out. Plus he had no problem telling me that it was in 2 minor accidents. This was all before I went to look at it. When I got there, it was actually in better condition then what he said. I wish all people selling vehicles could be like that.
I agree. Too much b.s. I'm taking a break from looking for a while. 90% of the people I'm contacting are small dealers of some sort. Frustrating.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Where are you located? I've bought all of mine from private sellers and at decent prices. Hell, I've gotten all five in total for less than the asking price of that jeep. Granted, they needed minor work but being a mechanic helps there I guess. I found most of them on Craigslist
Old 04-05-2017, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by 00_WJ_4.0
Where are you located? I've bought all of mine from private sellers and at decent prices. Hell, I've gotten all five in total for less than the asking price of that jeep. Granted, they needed minor work but being a mechanic helps there I guess. I found most of them on Craigslist
North Jersey. I've bought a few vehicles and a couple of motorcycles on craigslist successfully. All private sellers. Seems this time around not having much luck.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:39 AM
Seasoned Member

I live about 3 hours from you as well and they're around. I do understand driving 3 hours is a crappy thing if it's a unsure thing, I got my one jeep about three hours away and traded my very much loved car for it, towing the car three hours to tow the jeep back the whole way... Really wasn't a sure thing but after three hours and the jeep not even running when I got there, ( I did see a video of it running though) But after towing my car ao far and the jeep being in great shape, I did the trade. Had to fix some minor things and it didn't start because there was water in the fuel lines and they froze but it was a great jeep. I sorta got a bit off topic, sorry. But I think you'll find something. Just keep at it.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Old 04-05-2017, 10:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Buyer beware brother.