Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

High Output HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 High Output
Exclamation High Output HELP

I have a 2002 WJ Overland, purchased at 132k miles. I work on remote cell towers and the wj gets driven pretty hard. at 148k the engine seized , and after removing it from the jeep and removing the valve covers and gaskets, I discovered three broken connecting rods, a damaged crank, and disintegrated skirts on the block. UGGH!!! I purchased a remanufatured engine from accurate automotive engines in Michigan. The engine that arrived , upon initial investigation appeared to be a high output engine ( I only removed the clear shipping wrap from one head to confirm the H.O. head markings)
When we began finishing the build, we noticed that only one head was marked H.O. , and the knock sensor mounts in the block were not there!!
Upon speaking with the shop manager, they "Make" the heads High Output, and the only difference in the block is the pistons, and as I discovered the knock sensor mounts. They are going to ship another long block when they receive this engine back. **What would happen if I were to extend the knock sensors to another location and mount them , How would the computer react, and can I just hard wire the circuit all together ???
Old 05-03-2012, 03:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

It should not be an issue to add some length to the knock sensor wires as long as you solder and heat shrink the splices. If the wires going to the sensor are a twisted pair make sure you do the same to the wires being spliced on.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:06 PM

Smile Head mounted knock sensors

thanks Bustedback, my consideration for new location of the knock sensors would be on the back side of the cylinder heads , which is close to the piston although it would not be threaded into the actual iron of the block , but to the aluminum on the heads instead. It was pointed out to me that the knock sensor is Needed for timing advancement, so I will need to have them mounted to the engine itself. I am wondering where the knock sensor is located on a standard 4.7L block ?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:17 AM

Default no knock sensor mount

These photos show the knock sensor mounts of my old block, and the lack of on the re-manufactured block
Attached Thumbnails High Output HELP-ianzwj-v8ho-4.jpg   High Output HELP-ianzwj-v8ho-2.jpg  

Last edited by rftechCA; 05-04-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: attached wrong photo, whoops
Old 05-04-2012, 04:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

I'd send it back. There's quite a few differences between the 4.7 L-H.O. and the standard 4.7 L. Forged crank, different rods, special domed pistons, etc. It shows the complete list of differences here.>->http://www.wjjeeps.com/ho_engine.htm#DIFFERENCES
Old 05-04-2012, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, Dan. That is exactly what I did today, I called the remanufacturer and let them know that I need to have a High Output Block, with the sensor risers, as well as both heads that are original High Output heads with the 53021457 and 53021458 heads. I did not think I needed to also add that it needs to have the forged steel crank and high compression pistons. They will either have this on the new engine, or I will be requesting a refund and going with Powertrain Products which I should have done to begin with. I am going to have the engine balanced and reassembled by a local marine engine shop when it gets back from the remanufacturer. Is there any testing that can be done before it is reinstalled, other than checking the line up of both cams and tdc ???? How would you compression test w/o the PCM and valve/oil pan/oil installed ???
Thanks again
Old 05-05-2012, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

You can spin the engine over without those items. You might get a slightly lower reading by not having the oiling system hooked up, but you can squirt a little oil in the cylinders before cranking it over to promote sealing, and leave the plugs out. Block the throttle open as you do the test. You can jump the starter if needed, to spin it over if it won't crank w/o the PCM.