Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

herky jerky

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default herky jerky

My 95 Grand Cherokee Limited ( 4.0 litre), has an unusual habit of making a little jerk, while driving. I have replaced the Distributor cap, rotor, plugs, and wires. I have also replaced parts such as throttle position sensor, timing sensor, and some others. It doesn't kill the engine, but when driving, there is an occasional hiccup and keeps on going on. It's not a bothersome thing, but would like to figure out the problem. Any Ideas.
I have also noticed that the speedometer occasionally quits, then works again. It's a great vehicle, but would like to fix a few little problems, to make it a better one. I appreciate any and all advice, as I'm good at fixing things, but sometimes need a little help steering me towards the right way.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I had a problem very much like you're having with my 95 ZJ 4.0. Any time I would run over a sharp edged bump, like an expansion joint on the freeway, the engine would kind skip a beat and then motor on without an issue until the next jolt. I happen to be looking at the tachometer when it happened and noticed the needle would drop as if it was not getting a signal and would jump back to where it should be. A clue! I poked my head under the jeep and found the gear selector cable was rubbing on the top of the crankshaft position sensor and was kinking the wires. I replaced the sensor and rerouted the cable so it wouldn't contact the sensor anymore. Problem solved and I have had no other issues since. You may have a bad connection at the vehicle speed sensor that is causing your speedo problem.