Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default HELP

Ok. I have a friend that is working on my daughters 2000 grand cherokee 2 wheel drive. We have replaced the water pump, the thermostat, the relay and we still cant get the fan to work. He did the hot wire from the battery to the fan and it worked but it will not come on when the car gets to hot..What can it be now? He looked at the fuses and said those were good...Any advice. Im about to go crazy

Robin
Old 01-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Try putting a switch to the relay fan. Had the same problem with my last XJ, run the switch through the firewall or however u wanna get it in the cab. Then just turn it on whenever it starts warming up. Just remember to turn iit off so u dnt kill ur battery
Old 01-11-2012, 09:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Does it come on with the A/C?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by ChadLunsford
Then just turn it on whenever it starts warming up. Just remember to turn iit off so u dnt kill ur battery
That's not a very good solution.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Worked fine for me
Old 01-11-2012, 10:57 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by Memphisgirl
Ok. I have a friend that is working on my daughters 2000 grand cherokee 2 wheel drive. We have replaced the water pump, the thermostat, the relay and we still cant get the fan to work. He did the hot wire from the battery to the fan and it worked but it will not come on when the car gets to hot..What can it be now? He looked at the fuses and said those were good...Any advice. Im about to go crazy

Robin
Some models have an engine coolant temp sensor that sends a signal to the pcm. Then the pcm sends signal to turn the fan on and off. Is the 2000 a Laredo, Limited? what engine does it have? Hard to look up with just 2000 GC
Old 01-11-2012, 11:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by ChadLunsford
Worked fine for me
Until you forget to turn it on or off.

There is a reason it doesn't come this way from the factory.

I mean, do what you want. Fix it the right way ir do it half assed. I don't care.

But if it worked on its own at one time, it can and should work the same with the right fix.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 5.7l HEMI

I am also a HUGE fan of things working as they should.

The only items that affect your fan coming on are the Relay, Temp Sensor, computer or PCM and the fan itself. The water pump and t-stat, while they work with the fan to cool the engine, they work independently of fan. You already replaced the relay, the PCM is good if everything else works and the fan does turn on when wired directly to the battery. So this only leaves the Temp Sensor.

The Temp Sensor tells the computer it's getting hot, the computer then tells the relay to send power to the fan. Thats how it should work , short and sweet.