Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Hello from CT! Need some assistance please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Hello from CT! Need some assistance please!

Hey, I just picked up a 2000 grand Cherokee Laredo as a second vehicle to use for winter, dump/Home Depot runs and probably going to do some modding! First off what I have to figure out is the PO explained that he’s replaced the “computer” which had failed due to an issue with the door harness? I’ve used the search function and haven’t seen any threads with a related title. In speaking with a few jeep savvy friends they’ve told me that it’s a common problem due to the harness being too short in the door. Any direction on this would be appreciated I’d like to get this sorted and be confident it’s not going to leave me stranded. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

First of all.. welcome to the forum and the family.

You will probably get much better response to your question/issue if you post it in the correct section of the forum. Most don't look here for answering questions as this is just the "introduction" section.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:35 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

What happens here is the flexible wiring harnesses that connect the door switch modules have a tendency to have wires break from constantly flexing every time you open and close the doors. At the present time, my 2000 WJ has a problem with my driver's door. If you open the door more than about a foot, nothing in the door works until you close it. Because that's got the "master module" in it, the other doors don't work either with that door open.

My plan of attack for fixing this is to go to a junkyard and pull the door harness out of another one, inspect and fix it, then swap it out with mine. I've been told that most times it's the large black ground wire that breaks first. Another option is to cut the cover off it harness, fix the wires, then wrap it with self-vulcanizing rubber electrical tape. That might be the easiest option.

I don't know why a lot of people condemn the computer first. It's seems like an expensive thing to replace for a couple of broken wires and isn't the problem anyway.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Originally Posted by RocketMouse
First of all.. welcome to the forum and the family.

You will probably get much better response to your question/issue if you post it in the correct section of the forum. Most don't look here for answering questions as this is just the "introduction" section.
Ah, ok thanks for the welcome! I’m new to the Jeep scene, what would be the correct section to post a query? I just scored another one 2002 with less miles but more (smaller) issues. Needs brakes/rotors/wheel bearings and a left fender. Depending on the condition I may give it to my son or use it for parts, hope to pick it up this week.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:36 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

You can thank the moderators because it's posted in Stock Grand Cherokee now. Welcome to the cesspool of jeep knowledge and opinion! LOL! Just kidding. We'll try to help if we can.

Since you now own a WJ (Grand Cherokee 99-04), you should check out wjjeeps.com for lots of good information about your specific model. One other thing for future reference, if you post about drivetrain problems, let us know what engine you have. There are several differences between the straight 6 and the V8.

As you can see from my signature block, I drive a 2000 WJ Laredo 4.0 and have owned it for 6 years.

Last edited by dave1123; 05-10-2018 at 04:39 AM.