Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Heater issues....

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Heater issues....

Hey all
I own a 95 GC Laredo 4.0, with about 130k. Great runner! I had to replace the radiator and water pump when I got it a while back in the summer. I replaced the thermostat about a few weeks ago, and since it started getting colder out, I noticed the heater blows warmish air. Of course when it gets warmer outside, the heater will get hotter.
When I give it RPM's at a stand still, or when accelerating on the hwy, the air will get warmer, but in town driving, and low RPM's, it doesn't stay warm. I also hear what sounds to be water rushing into the heater core when I give it RPM's sometimes too. I have no leaks inside, no defrost vent steam, antifreeze smell, don't lose water, it's nice and green and full. Cooling system is pretty much all new.
Somebody please tell me that I don't have to replace heater core, I hear I have to tear whole dash appart....

Maybe I'm missing something? Or is this just the way GC's are?
Old 12-21-2012, 10:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You may have an air pocket in the cooling system. Jack the front end up so the radiator cap is the highest part of the cooling system, remove the radiator cap and let the engine idle until it reaches normal operating temp and watch for bubbles at the filler neck. When you see no more bubbles and the coolant in the radiator is hot put the cap back on and take her for a spin. You should also feel both of the heater hoses once the engine is warm, they should both be pretty close to the same temp. If one is a lot cooler than the other it means there is a restriction in the heater core. If that is the case, you can remove the hoses from the heater core nipples and blow compressed air into the heater core. You might blow some junk out and free up the restriction.