Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

heater inop

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default heater inop

A friend of mine has a 93 grand and his heat is not working. He told me it worked until a couple of weeks ago when the harmonic balancer went. He said he drained the rad and took it out to replace the balancer and when he reinstalled everything it no longer worked. I haven't really looked at it but any insite would be greatful. He also told me that since it hasn't been working he has changed the t-stat and temp sensor and know the temp gauge fluctuates up and down between nothing and 200. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:08 PM

Location: tan house white shutters key's under the flower pot
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

probably air in system. the heater core is so high on these systems its hard to get the air out sometimes. take the cap off, top off the fluid, squeeze the upper hose a few times, keep topping off then start it. and top it off and let it get the air out. then put the cap back on, repeat if needed.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:46 PM

Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L L6

Originally Posted by jpdocdave
probably air in system. the heater core is so high on these systems its hard to get the air out sometimes. take the cap off, top off the fluid, squeeze the upper hose a few times, keep topping off then start it. and top it off and let it get the air out. then put the cap back on, repeat if needed.
If you can reach the upper heater hose you can do this a lot quicker. Like JP said take the cap off and top off the system at start. Run the car until the t-stat opens. once it does use a towel and squeeze the heater hoses. this should get the air out.
On a side note when he drained the coolant it could have clogged up the heater core. It happens often on older vehicles. Let us know if the squeezing tec. worked.