Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

grinding sound while driving - 96 grand cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default grinding sound while driving - 96 grand cherokee

seems my jeep has recently developed yet another problem... this time theres a bit of a grinding sound while driving

when i drive, it feels rough as the suspension travels and grinds a bit.. and the steering has become a little loose and a tad unpredictable and less responsive

also, when driving around a parking lot at low speeds.. theres a steady "bump, bump, bump" that coincides with the speed at which im driving

it doesnt seem to me like these are caused by the same thing.. it sounds to me like seperate problems... for the rough feel and grinding sound with the suspension and the odd steering, it seems like a bushing somewhere has been torn out.. perhaps a control arm or sway bar bushing... someone with more knowledge on these can chime in at any time

as for the constant bump sounds after braking... perhaps a brake pad has come loose?..

if anyone has any other thoughts.. let me know, ill me taking a look at the brakes soon, but ill have to wait until i get a proper set of jack stands to do anything with the sway bar

Last edited by animus_divinus; 05-19-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

I'd check the u-joints/CV joints in the drive-shafts: control arm bushings; sway bar bushings & end-links; the steering components, (maybe have the steering box adjusted); check the tires for shifted belts; check the rotors for square & run-out; check the front hub bearings for play. JMO of course.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: rebuilt straight 6

not sure about the bumping, but the grinding that sounds like it is coming from the suspension, sounds like what happened to me. one of my retaining pins in my drum broke and the shoes started rotating inside the drum causing grinding from the rear of the jeep. (mine is a cherokee, not sure if you have drums, but it might be worth checking that sort of thing)
Old 05-19-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like bad front wheel bearings from what you described.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:51 AM

well, i wont be driving it much till next week, so ill check out the brakes this weekend because the bumping sound sounds too large to be just a wheel bearing... sounds like a brake pad might have come loose or something... doubt a sway bar broke because a steady speed through a parking lot shouldnt cause it to whip around much (no cornering either)... but as for the rest, given the gritty feel ive been noticing, and the steering being a tad off... ill crawl under and check out all the bushings on the sway bars, control arms, etc (its on the front driver side) and if i notice anything, ill replace them immediately

are there any diagnostic tests i can put the suspension or steering through to better narrow things down?
Old 05-20-2011, 03:59 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4LI6

jack the front up, grab the wheel(tire) and try to move up and down and side to side. any play usually indicates hub bearings.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by gclrick
jack the front up, grab the wheel(tire) and try to move up and down and side to side. any play usually indicates hub bearings.
That could also indicate worn/bad ball joints too.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:56 PM

well, i wont be able to do anything this weekend.. strained my neck pretty back in my sleep, and have a scope surgery tuesday, so ill get to it next week... it doesnt feel like a bearing to me though.. feels more like a bushing somewhere just isnt there anymore
Old 05-20-2011, 05:05 PM
CF Veteran

That sucks. Hope you feel better real soon.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:21 PM

yeah.. well, neck still hurts today.. plus now, a bee somehow got into my house and thought he had the right to sting me in the face while i was asleep... makes me angry (i know im ranting)
Old 05-26-2011, 08:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0l inline 6

Did you find out what was causing your issues.?
Old 05-30-2011, 12:10 AM

not yet.. im getting a set of jack stands soon so i can put the front end up and really get at the things i need to do with the grinding sound, as well as a faulty wire i need to replace
Old 06-02-2011, 05:28 PM

well, this all has to be delayed... since the previous owner waited so long to fix the sagging door, the latch has actually ripped itself out of the door, leaving a torn up mess on the sheet metal of the door itself...

i cant rivet a piece in because the rivets themselves would prevent the latch from being properly mounted... and i cant MIG weld a piece in without first removing all the rubber, the window, motors, etc... so i will have to replace the door entirely

as of now the door doesnt close... so its not even save to drive until i get a replacement door which is going to cost me no more than $200 (already found a salvage yard nearby that has one) but im looking for options
Old 06-04-2011, 09:50 AM

i found the problem.. and im going to need some verbal help here...

apparently the splash guard thing attached to the rotor (id like to know a proper term or part number if anyone knows) has rusted and come apart, lifting itself from the rotor

as the wheel spins, this piece gets slung through the caliper causing a grinding and thumping sound... probably damaging the brake pads too

my question... what is this thing?... the repair manual states its going to be a bit of a PITA to remove, but once removed do i need to replace it or do i leave it off? and should i replace it, who sells a replacement and for how much?
Old 06-04-2011, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0l inline 6

Basicly it is a splash guard. It helps to keep some road muck off the brakes. If I remember right you need to take the rotor off to get to it. Many peeps run with out it. Since you need to check the brakes for any damage. Once the wheel is off you can cut it off with a dremel.

Quick Reply: grinding sound while driving - 96 grand cherokee