Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Grand Cherokee Questions Before Buying

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Grand Cherokee Questions Before Buying

Want the creature comforts so I decided on the Grand Cherokee over the XJ. More than likely in the 94-98 model years.

Any notorious issues with these years, and how easy is it to work on these myself (compared to the XJ). Somewhat mechanically inclined

Oh...this vehicle is never going to see the woods so ease of modding is not a priority. Thanks in advance...

Dave
Old 11-07-2011, 11:30 AM

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default I say a Jeep is a Jeep.

Hey Dave!

I don't know about specific problems with the ZJ. The only thing I've learned the hard way is that all used cars have something wrong with them that will require the vehicle to be inoperable for at least a short period of time. I have had good luck with jeeps in the fact that I was able to easily figure out whats wrong with them and fix it (if I wanted to). I like the ZJ, but I also miss my old XJ. I haven't noticed any different features other than body style and emission systems. Well anyways I'm no expert and this is all of my own personal experiences so take it with a grain of salt! I think a Jeep is a Jeep. Have fun and good luck with your purchase, whatever model you decide on!!!
Old 11-07-2011, 01:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

The Quadratrac system has issues with the viscous coupler fragging out. Look for a ZJ with the 231 transfercase, it is not an awd case. The V8 really fills the engine bay and makes it difficult to work on sometimes, the inline six is very easy to work on. There are some transmission problem with the 42RE if neglected. The extra room the ZJ has to offer makes it nice for the folks in the back seat over the XJ. The ZJ is limited to aftermarket winch bumpers, when you do find them they will start out about 800 bucks. I have a 95 ZJ with the inline six and 231 transfercase and I love it. 187k miles and it runs like a top...a slow thirsty top.

Last edited by Bustedback; 11-07-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:00 PM

Engine: 4.0L
Default Nice Post

Originally Posted by Bustedback
The Quadratrac system has issues with the viscous coupler fragging out. Look for a ZJ with the 231 transfercase, it is not an awd case. The V8 really fills the engine bay and makes it difficult to work on sometimes, the inline six is very easy to work on. There are some transmission problem with the 42RE if neglected. The extra room the ZJ has to offer makes it nice for the folks in the back seat over the XJ. The ZJ is limited to aftermarket winch bumpers, when you do find them they will start out about 800 bucks. I have a 95 ZJ with the inline six and 231 transfercase and I love it. 187k miles and it runs like a top...a slow thirsty top.
Wow that's great info! Guess it's never too late to learn something new! Thanks for the post!
Old 11-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: V8

Alarm systems are wonky
AC leaks water in the pass floorboard
AC Evaps leak Freon in general
VC Coupler is problematic
Drivers door sometimes falls off the hinges
VIC gives weird readings

Ill update as I think of more...I love my 93!

Ron
Old 11-21-2011, 02:41 PM
CHJ

Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jronald
Drivers door sometimes falls off the hinges
Hi Ron

Have had the seller fix the drivers door on our '97 GC 4.0 once.
Now we have the same problem with the door jumping up and down on the hinges while opening and closing the door.

Any sugestions on what would be the solution for this?

CHJ
Old 11-21-2011, 03:32 PM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Check all your electrical's! All power options, etc Gremlins love WJ's
Old 11-21-2011, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

I had a '97 ZJ Limited w/the V8 and power everything and all options for 6 years. It had 180+K miles on it when I sold it to my son and I would still drive it to California today without a second thought. It was rust free and had no issues except for having the trans replaced after I bought it. You need to keep the fluid & filter clean on them. Some do have t-case issues as stated earlier. The Vehicle Information Center can be resoldered if it starts acting up, but most think it has to be replaced.
The ZJ has a great ride with the all coil suspension, and it makes a great tow vehicle too.