Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Grand cherokee flickering interior lights.. wont go off now

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Grand cherokee flickering interior lights.. wont go off now

Hey guys i have a 98 GC 4.0 select trac, and starting for the first time last night the cabin lights started blinking randomly when driving. They would all come on then turn off a few seconds later.. I noticed it does this when i make a right turn or hit a decent bump in the road. Then goes away as i turn left or hit another bump.. It stopped tho mid way through last night.. I can also grab the car and shake it and the lights will flicker

All the interior lights flicker.. The doors, the top the bottom lights.. All of them except the dashboard.. You can hear the click that they make when they turn off and on normally..

Today while going to work it was doing it again, however driving back home it didnt do it. Im not sure where to start here... I wiggled all the cables i could find inside the engine compartment and that solved nothing. The only thing i have had done to the Jeep electricly was has best buy install aJVC CD player. Its been in the Jeep for about 2-3 weeks now tho, and didnt cause any problems.

It seems to be getting worse now, they are on all the time when i drive and when i park.. Then still flicker tho when i hit a hump in the road or turn the vehicle at an intersection. Or if i make a u turn.

Whats wierd is when i make a u turn they stay off, and once i straighten out they come back on. I made another u turn and they went off again and came back on when i straightend out again. The u turn were all left turn's. I tried openeing each door and pushing the little black button in and locking the doors and the lights wouldnt come off so i dont think its the door switchs.

For now i had to pull the fuse controlling the interior lights so my battery wont get drained..
Old 09-13-2010, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

EDIT : Solved the problem.. It was the rear light in the back.. Aparently someone turned it on and it was causing the lights to stay on.. However why the lights were flickering im not sure.. Cause at night when i was driving all the lights were off and it just started to flicker.. So i dunno..

For now i turned that back light off and all the lights are off now and i test drove the car and nothing flickers..