Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Grand Cherokee 1995 Doorlock electrical issues after disconnecting radio/cassetteplay

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Grand Cherokee 1995 Doorlock electrical issues after disconnecting radio/cassetteplay

Since my left front and rear speaker are not always functioning, I unscrewed the centre console on my 1995 jeep Grand Cherokee hoping to find some lose wires. Although everything seemed intact, the left speakers came back to life when pushing the plugs harder into the radio. Not sure how to fix this properly, I decided to put everything back. I did not cut or change any wires.

As soon as I had put everything back, some new issues appeared:
1) when I open the doors, I hear a clicking sound coming from the glove compartment. It sounds like the anti theft system but no hunking horns, just rapid clicking.

2)the central door lock only works with the engine on. When engine is off I need to lock all doors manually.

3)the board computer blinks constantly

4) the radio is cut (and the board computer shut down) every time when I lever for the dashboard illumination to max. This only happens when I switch it all the way to the right and the floor lights come on. When switching back, the radio turns back on and the board computer stops blinking.

It seems to me that this is somehow related to the anti theft system, but I don't understand why, since I didn't cut any wires. I just unplugged and rep lugged the speaker cables in the back of the radio.

Anybody any idea how to fix this?

Last edited by Just Boon; 03-14-2016 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:01 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

You may have confused the body control module by unplugging the radio. I'll bet you did it with the battery connected, didn't you. It's possible it thinks you were trying to steal it! You never mentioned if the jeep runs after you did this.

Try disconnecting the battery cables and waiting for awhile to reset everything. You can just disconnect the positive cable and touch it to ground to drain the PCM memory quickly. You'll have to reset the radio preset stations after doing this, and the date/time on the VIC display.

My 97 ZJ only clicked when the alarm went off because the horns were burnt out. The clicking was the horn relay doing it's thing.

Last edited by dave1123; 03-14-2016 at 06:05 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Hi @dave1123 Thanks for your reply.
The car still starts and drives. The alarm horns still work on my car, so I'm not sure if the delay clicking is from that.
I just tried your suggestion, disconnected the battery cables from the battery, left it for 3,5 hours and connected it back again.
Our little relay friend is clicking like before and the car still starts, so unfortunately this did't fix it.Aalso the head lights are not blinking, so I doubt the clicking is the alarm, although it does come from the dashboard on the passenger side.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for helping out!
Old 03-14-2016, 06:52 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Well, to be honest with you, my experience only includes a 97 ZJ and my 2000 WJ. I have no clues as to what's going on with your 95. The only thing I can think of is you disturbed some other wiring when checking out the radio. Maybe the plug on the VIC or maybe a ground connection? Is this a factory radio? The reason I ask this is there is a second illumination wire that goes to the radio that dims the display when the dash lights are on. This wire should NOT be connected with aftermarket radios.