Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

General questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Question General questions

I have a 97 grand cherokee with a 4.0 in it. I have the selec trac tansfer. Until today I had always thought part time meant that the transfer was in part time and would go to 2wd when I reached a certain speed. Luckily I never tried that. Why is it called part time if it is completely locked more than full time?
Which transfer is the best?
I have some other issues also. It wants to stay in second gear sometimes.
It also takes a lot of cranking to start most of the time. Last summer I dropped the tank and replaced the filter and cleeaned the tank out and it started first crank for about two days then back to normal. I suspect I need to change the filter again or maby clean the injectors.
I used lucas fuel system cleaner and it helped a little but it seems to be ineffective now.
Also on long trips or a lot of rain it used to spit and sputter and even quit once but always fires back up. It stopped doing that by itself somehow. I dumped gallons of water everywhere to try to diagnose that but it never sputtered one bit.
Oh and I tried the forum search for these questions but after going through hundreds of posts and never finding an answer I gave up.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L HO

I would guess a fuel pump or sensor issue as far as the hard starting/sputtering issues. Is the check engine light on?

If you have the option of 2WD (SelectTrac does I believe) then that is where you should run the truck normally. If not then it should be in 4Hi. Mine is QuadraDrive so I run in 4Hi since I don't have a 2WD option on my T-case.