Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

gas mileage question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 V8
Default gas mileage question

after a new cataletic convertor, 2 new O2 sensors, new glass pack muffler, oil change, tranny fluid and filter change, fuel filter, and seafoam, what kinda fuel mileage should a 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited with the 5.2/V8 get on highway miles. I know not to expect great fuel mileage but with all that done I should improve some. Before all that I was getting 15 city and around 21 highway MPG. Help me figure out what to expect on my trip to Oklahoma in the morning. I will be setting the cruise control at 70mph and let her glide down the road. And by the way her name is "SARAH"
Old 05-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8

If Sarah will put out 21 mpg, you need to shut up and thank your lucky stars!
Just for future note, the glass pack may actually cause you less mpg.

Ron

Last edited by jronald; 05-03-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by jronald
If Sarah will put out 21 mpg, you need t shut up and thank your lucky stars!

Ron

I went from Greenville, SC to Charlotte, NC and back on half a tank. around 220 miles on 10 gallons of fuel, that was before all the work was done to her
Old 05-02-2011, 04:20 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I got 22 on Illinois hilly roads without cruise with my 4.0
Old 05-02-2011, 05:42 PM

Default more on Sarah

new air filter and pcv filter..was told that helps the emissions which in turns helps a lil on fuel mileage...true?
Old 05-02-2011, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6 Powertech

a new cat converter usually decreases gas mileage cause theres more "filtering" stuff there, whereas the old one was burned out.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

21 MPG is as good as I ever got in my '97 w/the 5.2 V8. I doubt you'll improve on that very much, if any.
BTW mine got better mileage without using the cruise control.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by truckntractorhick
a new cat converter usually decreases gas mileage cause theres more "filtering" stuff there, whereas the old one was burned out.
Just the opposite is true.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6 Powertech

really? my friends truck had that happen to him, and we took it to the mechanic who said yea it'll do that for a bit till its broken in...... hmm......
Old 05-02-2011, 11:54 PM
CF Veteran

Take a brand new cat convertor and an old used up cat convertor and look through them. You can see daylight through the new cat and the old cat will have melted substrait and have partcial clogs in most cases. The cat convertor does not filter the exhaust like a filter on a Marlboro, It uses a chemical reaction to clear hydrocarbons from the exhaust.
Now the diesel particulate filters that are in the exhaust systems of the new 2008 and newer diesel trucks do act like a filter on a Virginia Slim. That is why they have to turbo the hell out of the new diesels just to make up for the power that is robbed by the restrictive DPF systems.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2L V8

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Take a brand new cat convertor and an old used up cat convertor and look through them. You can see daylight through the new cat and the old cat will have melted substrait and have partcial clogs in most cases. The cat convertor does not filter the exhaust like a filter on a Marlboro, It uses a chemical reaction to clear hydrocarbons from the exhaust.
Now the diesel particulate filters that are in the exhaust systems of the new 2008 and newer diesel trucks do act like a filter on a Virginia Slim. That is why they have to turbo the hell out of the new diesels just to make up for the power that is robbed by the restrictive DPF systems.
If they wouldn't get mad at me for trying to baptize a jeep; I'd ask you to be my jeeps Godfather! Damn she'd be taken care of for life!!!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:41 PM
CF Veteran

Thank you, but there are guys on this forum that have forgotten more than I will ever know.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:22 PM

Engine: 5.2L

Originally Posted by jronald
If Sarah will put out 21 mpg, you need to shut up and thank your lucky stars!

Ron
Hey, I was considering putting a glass pack on my '93 GC Limited 5.2. Not for better MPG, but for a nicer sound (and I thought it might improve flow). Why, in your opinion, do you think it might hurt MPG?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:08 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 5.2 V8, Dual cold air, dual batts, E-fan, Sanden OBA

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Thank you, but there are guys on this forum that have forgotten more than I will ever know.
Not to hijack this thread but ya I swear busted back has replied to like 90% of all posts, thanks for all the help man I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that
Old 05-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: V8

Most glass packs use a gang saw to chop a 1000 small "exits" in the inside portion of the pipe. Because these exits, hang into the "flow" of the exhaust. At the best, they impede the flow, at the worst they stop the flow. Im not looking for a debate, go to your auto parts store and open a box, look down the bore you will see exactly what Im trying to explain.

If you are looking for an extremely free flowing exhaust, decent sounding muffler that is NOT loud, pick up a muffler from a Turbo Charged Corvair. Its 2.5 in and out, its very small and cheap to boot.

The absolutely sweetest sounding exhaust is a Small Block, running duals with a crossover pipe between the duals, just behind the transmission. This will also ad from 5 to 25 extra horses, very low on the power band!

Ron

Quote:
I think the confusion here is due to the fact that the original "turbo" mufflers were production Corvair items. Years ago, there wasn't much, if any, selection of high performance mufflers. You had a choice of running stock mufflers or straight-through glass packs. Then someone realized that the turbocharged Corvairs had a fairly low-restriction muffler that was relatively quiet and had good flow. Hence, everyone was going to the auto parts stores and asking for Corvair Turbo mufflers. Now everyone and their brother in manufacturing "turbo" mufflers.

Quick Reply: gas mileage question