Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

front driveshaft parts?

Old 08-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO
Default front driveshaft parts?

ok well i have a 95 zj limited with a cv style front driveshaft. i was told that the cv style driveshaft was rare and im guessing i had it in my limited for better suspension ride? i dunno but i want it gone. i went through 2 cv style frontdriveshafts in less than a month. i was told all you have to do is change the yoke to u joint style. i dont wanna use a junkyard one and everytime i call an autoparts store its like im speaking french cause they dont understand i HAVE a cv style DRIVESHAFT with a solid axle, not IFS and just because im only 17 doesnt mean im an idiot and dont know my jeeps. i have 3 of them and i know them pretty well. anyways, does anyone know where i can get the parts to convert my cv style to ujoints? and sorry about the rant, it just frustrates me when parts stores think im just a stupid kid who doesnt know a thing about my own jeeps.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

The rzzepa style shafts(cv) have their benefits too and they are not rare on the 96+ grands. The question is why did you blow through 2 in a month,somethings not right,if your lifted it probably needs lengthened. I think i told you in another thread that you can put on a u-joint style and you will need the yoke but get a manual so that you know how to set the preload.

If you're going all new call tom woods,they'll answer all your Q's.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:47 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Cool

You can also have the drive shaft lenghtened if you have reaised your jeep. There are alot of very good people out there that can build you a new shaft to the specs(needs) of your vehicle
Old 08-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

im trying to keep all the costs down as much as possible and although i never got a price on a tom woods driveshaft, i would imagine a custom one would be pretty pricey. i really dont know why i blew through 2 driveshafts. the first one was the original one with over 200k on the odometer plus the kid i bought it off of didnt take any care of this thing so i was guessing it blew from neglect. the second one is a mystery to me. i rechecked everything, adjusted my eccentric cams, lengthened the slip yoke, and notched my crossmember for clearance to hopefully keep it from going but it still got destroyed. i have an xj front driveshaft with a a slip yoke starting to go bad with vibrations that a took out of my xj and i want to get an xj yoke so i can put the bad xj driveshaft on my zj. its a trailer queen so i really dont care if the slip yoke goes bad, just as long as it turns my front wheels and is more reliable than my cv driveshafts.