Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Front brakes binding

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Front brakes binding

I have a 2003 Grand Cherokee. When I drove to work this morning there were no problems and everything seemed fine. On my way home however, my front brakes started to bind. It was so bad that the whole car would stop abruptly and I wouldn't be able to get it going again. I ended up using the e-brake the whole way home.

I recently just changed the front passenger caliper because it was binding and both front rotors. This feels completely different than when the caliper was binding. When I press the brakes the front shakes like crazy and stops very sharply. I have to put the car in neutral to release the brakes.

Im trying to determine if this is an electronic problem or something with the brake booster or master cylinder. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-02-2014, 10:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Raise and support the vehicle then spin both front wheels by hand to check for binding. Are sure the transmission isn't screwed up?
Old 05-03-2014, 05:16 AM

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Last time I checked, the brakes still worked in neutral. So, what's the magic with shifting into neutral to release the brakes? I've gotta agree with TurboXj, you have to determine where the binding is coming from to actually isolate that it is the brakes causing the problem. Also, the brake booster will not cause a problem like this. Even without a brake booster, the brakes will still work properly. If there is a binding problem as bad as you claim, you'd smell the brakes burning up and possible see smoke coming from one of the wheels. It's a little puzzling that the brakes released when you put it in neutral. Could be other items binding, transmission, cv joints, drive shaft....etc. Any noises like squealing, rattleing? Does it pull to one side or another when braking?
Old 05-03-2014, 05:40 AM

Year: 1996

Yeah,
Sounds like something other than a brake problem.

Keep us posted.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:38 AM

I went outside yesterday morning and noticed my passenger side tire was completely flat. So I took the tire off and noticed that the inside edge of the rim was all scrapped up. It turns out that the lower bolt holding the caliper to the bracket had sheered off. This caused the caliper to rotate every time I pushed the brakes. I ended up having to replace the rim and the lower bolt. It never crossed my mind that this was the issue but its back to working normally now!
Old 05-04-2014, 11:38 AM

Year: 1996

Thanks for the follow up.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts
Year: 1995 RHD
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Have you inspected the flexible brake hose for any signs of rubbing since this started? Make sure that it at no point can come in contact with the tyre.

If it has you should replace it.
The following users liked this post:
BlueRidgeMark (10-25-2019)