Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

First time jeep owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9
Talking First time jeep owner

So, just bought my first Jeep, Grand Cherokee 1998 Limited 5.9. Everything seems ok with it, its at 130k. Slight pull to the right, very slight will get alignment checked. Also it does this somewhat loud knock, SEEMS to be coming from the front end. It only does it when I put it in reverse AND give it any kind of gas, it pops, just once. When I put it back in drive, as I start to accel it POPS yet again, and is fine for the remainder of driving. I havent heard it do this any other time, besides going into rev then back into drive, but Ive had it less than a week. Ive tried sharp turns, didnt hear it. Possibly U-joints maybe? I did get a short warranty that covers only the "drivetrain" from what I can tell, any ideas if that would be considered part of the drivetrain?

*If I go into reverse and let it idle me out of the driveway/parking spot or be VERY light on the gas, it dosent pop in rev or back into drive.

Also just wondering if theres anything in particular I can check out/look for with it being "new" to me? I dont hear anything coming from the rear end, the "whining" ive read about isnt there, atm. It had 1 owner and reg maint from what the carfax shows. Thanks for the help! No tips/ideas too small, welcome any feedback plz! Thanks!

Last edited by Traceamount; 09-06-2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: See *
Old 09-06-2010, 10:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Check the ujoints. I've seen a few cases where the cross shaft in the carrier will pound out the hole in the carrier and make some noise when shifting into gear. You'll have to pull the diff covers off to check that out.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 5.9

Thanks will check it out. To be clear, its not just when going into gear. Its ONLY after going in reverse AND applying more than just a lil gas, like going up any kind of incline. Otherwise it never does it. Thanks!