Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

First post here guys, I need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rear Running Lights don't work, but brake lights do?

First and foremost, thank you all in advance for any insight you guys can give me on this matter! I appreciate it very much! Now to my problem...
I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the rear running lights haven't been working for a couple weeks now. The brake lights work fine, and the running head lamps work fine as well. I checked the fuse associated with it and its fine also. I've tried swapping out the bulbs (even tho they illuminate when the brake pedal is pushed) but new bulbs obviously didn't solve the problem either lol. Does anyone out there that's a little more knowledgeable than myself have any suggestions for me? Trying to drive from Florida to Michigan to see my family for Christmas, so I'm hoping to get it fixed this weekend. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by ryanross; 12-19-2014 at 10:53 AM. Reason: a
Old 12-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

First thing that comes to mind, does this jeep have a trailer wiring harness? If it does, behind one of the rear side panels is the trailer wiring module. Disconnect both the input and output plugs and connect them together. If that doesn't work, check for a bad ground in the tail light sockets. Sometimes the plastic melts and you loose connections. You may have to use a little hook and bend the contacts out to make contact or replace the bulb sockets. This is the part the bulbs slide into. The junkyard has tons of them cheap.

Turn the lights on and use a test light to see if you have power back there. If you don't, it must be in the harness somewhere. That's why I though about the trailer lighting module.

Sorry I got to you late. I've been sort of busy.

Check out wjjeeps.com for lots of good info on your jeep.