Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Failed Emissions Inspection 2004 Grand Cherokee 6 cyl

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Failed Emissions Inspection 2004 Grand Cherokee 6 cyl

I bought a 2004 Grand Cherokee 6 Cyl 4000 Eng Automatic 93031 miles . I have had it for 6 month and because I live in GA it needs a emission test. The jeep runs great but it failed the test. Here are the test results :
RPM:721
KOEO: PASS
READINESS= FAIL
MIL CMD = PASS O2 Sensor, O2 Seasor Heat, Catalytic Converter,EVAP
CODES READ = 0
DLC= PASS
Your vehicle did not pass inspection because the on board computer is "Not REady" to determine the status of the pollution control systems on the vehicle.

They told us to drive the car for 2 weeks to see if it gets better!! Does anyone have some better solutions to fix this?
Thank you for any help, Heidi
Old 06-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by Heidi
I bought a 2004 Grand Cherokee 6 Cyl 4000 Eng Automatic 93031 miles . I have had it for 6 month and because I live in GA it needs a emission test. The jeep runs great but it failed the test. Here are the test results :
RPM:721
KOEO: PASS
READINESS= FAIL
MIL CMD = PASS O2 Sensor, O2 Seasor Heat, Catalytic Converter,EVAP
CODES READ = 0
DLC= PASS
Your vehicle did not pass inspection because the on board computer is "Not REady" to determine the status of the pollution control systems on the vehicle.

They told us to drive the car for 2 weeks to see if it gets better!! Does anyone have some better solutions to fix this?
Thank you for any help, Heidi
WELCOME TO THE FORUM HEIDI!

hrmm.."not ready"? maybe it needs to study more for the test?

Anywho...have you driven it a lot since you got it? Has the battery been disconnected from it before you took it out to get it checked? Have you taken it to a shop to get some codes/CEL cleared?

the "drive the car for 2 weeks" advice is so the computer can relearn the trim that was cleared. driving the car will help it relearn the system's operating parameters again. So drive it some in the city and the highway. Let it cool and drive it again.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:41 PM

Wink

Not sure if the battery has been disconnected but I have been driving it both in the city and Hwy almost every day for 6 month without a problem. Thanks for the welcome
Old 06-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Seasoned Member

:/ odd...try driving it hard if you haven't been. If it still doesn't pass get it checked out unless some other knowledgeable members here will chime in with a different advice within the next week.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Look up the factory drive cycle some of them are a bit odd.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:48 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 90' 93'

As I tell customers, drive anywhere from 50-100 miles of your normal driving. Most the time somewhere with those miles you will set the readiness monitors to ready.

Which monitors are not ready? Since its a 04 you should be only allowed 1 not ready.

Things that will reset the ecu and cause not ready status, disconnecting of the battery, obd reader clearing the codes, battery going below a certain voltage.

Last edited by Mr Talon; 06-05-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95

Like mentioned above, the readiness failing is due to conditions not being correct for proper on board diagnostics (batt or PCM disconnected, codes cleared or a fault with a sensor or system). Im a little rusty on all the emissions protocols but if they said there were no DTC's, there might be a pending DTC and that can shut off a monitor. You might have the jeep checked for codes with a scanner that can look at pending codes.

You shouldnt have to drive it for 2 weeks but I can understand why they tell people that. The type of driving you do will depend on how long it takes to complete an entire drive cycle. For the most part you will need to do a couple cold start, warm up cycles, and a drive it a few times at highway speeds for a few miles at a time.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 90' 93'

Any updates on if you passed yet?
Old 06-08-2012, 07:04 AM

Smile

After driving it for a day, at a speed not to exceed 65 mph ,which was difficult on Hwy75 north heading into Atlanta , without getting run off the road ,took it for another check and it passed!
Thank you everyone who responded and thank you for the warm welcome here. I know now where to come for troubleshooting with the Jeep.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Heidi
it passed!

Told you it just needed some more time to study

Happy Jeeping!
Old 09-21-2012, 10:21 AM

Unhappy Failed Emissions Inspection 2005 Grand Cherokee 8 cyl

Hi Everyone,

I need your help. I just did a search through google to see how I might resolve my issue and I came upon this forum, so I signed up to get some advise.

I recently brought my 2005 Grand Cherokee to Jiffy Lube for an inspection and it failed due to the battery coming up "not ready". Here is a little background for my issue - (1) my battery died this past February, so I purchased a new one and had it installed (2) Then last month I got into a minor car accident and had to get my bumper replaced (I do not know if the mechanic took the battery out during the repairs and then put it back in). I'm not sure which situation is having the battery register as "not ready", but like Heidi, I was also told to "just drive it around and the system will reset, then you can bring it back in and we'll put it back on the computer to see if it passed" ... been back there 2x since and it keeps failing. They said... "oh just keep driving, every car is different, we have no other answers for you, you just have to keep driving it around." I have put 350 miles on my car since I got it back from the autobody place on 8/25/12 and it's still not passing the inspection. Could there be something else wrong with my car? I have called different mechanics in the meantime and they are telling me, too, that I have to keep driving it around. I work in Manhattan, so my car is basically a "sunday car" - it sits all week and I only drive on the weekends. Could it have do with that I don't drive as frequently and that's why its not "resetting"?

I'm really having a hard time getting my car to pass this inspection, please help. Any advise is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2012, 01:01 PM

Wink IOnlyBuyJeeps06

I read your post and all I can tell you is that my husband was able to clear our "not ready" read by following some steps that reset the computer/elec reader. He was able to download the instructions from the internet(not sure where he got them) First he had to disconnect the battery then drive for specific time (5 miles or so at 35 miles per hour or less, then increase to no more than 55 miles for 15 miles I believe ... google how to reset onboard systems connected to battery...
Hope that helps
Heidi
Old 09-22-2012, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95

I work in Manhattan, so my car is basically a "sunday car" - it sits all week and I only drive on the weekends. Could it have do with that I don't drive as frequently and that's why its not "resetting"?

Yep, this is you problem. The thing the jeep needs to do is perform a "drive cycle" There is not a specified type driving, or a list of types of driving needed but it takes balanced out types of driving to complete a "drvie cycle". There really isnt a specific set of instructions on what you need to do but like mentioned above may help and you need to try to do some varible driving. Maybe plan a small road trip (20-50miles) down the highway, go somewhere to eat etc. It sounds like you are probably seeing most of what the PCM needs from low speed city driving but are lacking some of the highway speed driving.

With this being a sunday driver, which I assume might be a couple short trips and stop and go in the city and or slow speed. You probably just need a short road trip on the highway.