Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Engine Guru needed.. New owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 2.7 CRD
Default Engine Guru needed.. New owner

Hi guys..
So, just got a 2002 grand cherokee 2.7CRD. Its my 2nd one had the older model 10 years ago.

Its had the engine replaced with a Merc ML engine.... Long story.. Taken a few weeks to get sorted but we are there with the help of a few friends.
Anyway.. It runs and drives perfectly.. Starts on the button nice and smooth.. No engine management or warning lights.

But I have a few niggle questions and I don't know where to turn for help .. Hence the forum...
First 2 questions may be related.
So first question. .. Looking at front of the engine, top left hand side is what I have been told is the cabin heater pump.. (cabin is getting hot air even without this engaging)
The clutch has been engaged and the front of pump has been turning up until today (left a couple of mates to fit new alternator) .. But now it won't engage. .. There is no voltage going to the plug either.. Have we blown a fuse, or is it something stupid like a switch in the cabin in wrong position?
2nd question .. Engine temp stays at about 60-70... Now when we fitted the engine we seemed to be missing a water pipe connection when we put it together. .. On the rhs of engine near the front, looking from front there are 2 water pipe connections on the inlet manifold.. Although we could only find 1 pipe that returns to the top of the coolant reservoir. So we have joined the 2 pipe inlet/outlets on the manifold together, then added a T junction to which we have joined the pipe returning to the res tank... Is this OK?.. Or can anyone say where these 2 metal inlet/outlets should go to?

3rd question... On the rhs of the engine looking from the front towards the rear just about where the battery is.. we have 2 electrical connections that don't seem to have a home. Can't get a good picture of them so will describe as best I can.
One is level with battery, but lower, it is a round, black plug with what appears to have a single female socket in the middle.. So only one pin..
The other is further back towards the bulkhead and a little lower.. Very small white plug, possibly 2 pin..
I know that's pretty vague.. But I'm hoping someone with a lot of engine knowledge will be able to help.. As I said at the start.. Engine runs fine without them being connected. It's just me worrying.. I like things to be right.

Looking forward to being an active member on here..
And thanks in advance for any help.
​​

Old 11-29-2018, 08:21 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the site Bazzo!

Someone will chime in and help I'm sure.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:36 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The only problem is we weren't allowed to buy diesels at that time so info is going to be scarce, unless someone from the EU is listening. There is bound to be someone here that has some knowledge of your engine though.