Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Engine Cuts off.. Cat Converter Removed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6/ 4.0 L
Talking Engine Cuts off.. Cat Converter Removed?

Hi,

I have a 1996 Grand Cherokee 4.0L. Automatic

I bought it from a guy as is. I noticed he removed the cat converter and drilled holes for sound I believe.

Anyway, the engine seems to cutoff every now and then. It will surprise me that on a warm day it will crank up first thing and I can take it to the store (10miles) and back without cutting off.

On another warm day. It will cut on and idle for 15mins then cutoff. It will start right up after it cuts off.

I have changed:
Spark Plugs, Ignition Coil (after check engine light code)

I know my distributor is good. Changed oil. Engine temperature stays at normal.

Anyway, I did have an error code for Cat converter. Is there an alternative way to figure this out.. I dont have the time, equipment to replace the cat since I have to cut the straight pipe and put it back on.

I do have oil leaking from my top of my engine cover and I feel like its made it into the spark plug holes..I cant really tell.

One more thing, it may be dirty ignition coils but would it be the ignition coils if I do not get a Check engine light code for that?

Thanks for the help!!!!
Old 10-28-2014, 05:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 296 Likes on 246 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

What you mean with cutoff?
Does is sputter, backfire, stumble, gurgles and dies? Or does the engine without warning stop, like flipping a lightswitch?
Old 10-28-2014, 07:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 H.O.

Does it feel like its starved for fuel when it cuts off or does it just lose spark?
Old 10-28-2014, 07:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like the CPS (crank position sensor) could be going bad. Common problem.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Since you had the codes read, It would be best to post the exact code that you got. That would make it a little easier for use to help you out. Also as other mentioned how exactly does it cut off? Next time it shuts down. Pop the hood and check to see what you lost. Spark or fuel pressure.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by DJeXeCute
Does it feel like its starved for fuel when it cuts off or does it just lose spark?

I cant really tell if its the fuel it does. It just cuts off instantly when it does. It does not idle ruff or anything.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Replace the cam and crank sensors. Those two items will cause stalling without warning or setting a code. Don't cheap out on the sensors, Mopar would be the best choice.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:33 PM

Engine: 4.0 I-6

I got a cheap '97 Grand w/ 4.0 about 6 months ago. It has perfect round holes in the muffler, but I think it came that way.

My first suspicion for your problem is an electrical connection that is losing contact occasionally, or a short in the wiring somewhere. The crankshaft position sensor is high on the list too, but I've seen where some "expert" posters say that they are either good or bad, there is no occasional cut-out with them.

That being said, mine developed a "dying occasionally" problem that ended when I fixed a wiring short in the crankshaft position sensor harness connector. Mine would behave much worse than simply shutting off and then restarting though.

Also, a few weeks ago mine began to die shortly after you started it. It has 161+k on it, and I've had it for 10k of those, and haven't done much maintenance to it so far. I took out the fuel tank and replaced the strainers. (I was going to change the pump, but the one I got from RockAuto was different than the existing one.) I've driven it 11 or maybe 12 times since then and it has only died once, and I think that was because I let go of the key too quick. It was fully "running". It feels like it's running smoother too.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:38 PM

Engine: 4.0 I-6

OK, I see BustedBack, who I believe knows what he is talking about, say the crank sensor can cause shut-offs. Take his word for it.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

True that the crank sensor will usually just crap out without being able to restart, but I recommend replacing it due to age. It lives in a pretty hot environment, and heat is the killer of sensors. I recommend factory sensors because look how long the original parts lasted. The cam sensor is just easy to replace and fairly cheap.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Roler
What you mean with cutoff?
Does is sputter, backfire, stumble, gurgles and dies? Or does the engine without warning stop, like flipping a lightswitch?
The engine turns off instantly like a switch intermittenly when stopped.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
True that the crank sensor will usually just crap out without being able to restart, but I recommend replacing it due to age. It lives in a pretty hot environment, and heat is the killer of sensors. I recommend factory sensors because look how long the original parts lasted. The cam sensor is just easy to replace and fairly cheap.

I will try that thanks. Also, before the engine wants to stop running, the more i push the gas pedal the longer it keeps it running before I let go and cuts off.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by DJeXeCute

You know it may be related to that since you brought it up, the more I keep my foot on the gas pedal, the more I keep the engine running before it shuts down. Its not electrical because my instrumental panel stays lit up and ac running.

Sounds like it just needs fuel fed to it.