Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Dumb question time.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 TD LTD SE
Default Dumb question time.....

I guess i will be posting these questions in the Cherokee thread too , as i don,t yet know if i am going to be owning a Cherokee or a Grand Cherokee....Ok here goes.... I am about to buy either a Cherokee or a Grand cherokee , it will definatly be petrol rather than diesal , and i would like to ask a few questions of you guys who are experts on Jeeps....I am not exactly new to 4 x 4 machines , but never had a Jeep before...Can you guys tell me what engines are in the grand cherokee , and what types of transmission , i know some have permant 4 x 4 and some have selectable...please can somebody tell me what models have which transmission , and how one operates the different transmissions.....thanks guys...
Old 03-02-2009, 09:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

you want a list of engines,tranny's and t-cases of all years cherokee/grand cherokee's,how to operate them and which tranny's came with which t-cases?? man,bro that would be a long list...if you can narrow your question down a little we'll go from there
Old 03-02-2009, 10:30 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Check out this thread........

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f48/helpful-links-10052/
Old 03-03-2009, 07:05 AM

Default DUMB QUESTION

OK , maybe you can just tell me what systems are used on the jeeps to select two and four wheel drive , and how to operate them....I am familiar with Landrovers and rangerovers , but never had a Jeep before...I need to know this so i can check out the four wheel drive system works when i go to check out a Jeep for sale..Where i live driving off road is something you do to go to the shops....Thanks for the links by the way , very usefull to a newby....
Old 03-03-2009, 09:44 AM
CF Veteran

Google is your friend....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_fo..._drive_systems
Old 03-03-2009, 10:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

evilblack's got some good links to read there. A large percentage of grands are fulltime 4WD so you won't have to worry about shifting into 4WD when test driving them (unless you want to go to 4LO). with the 231 and 242 cases just shift the lever from 2 to 4 while driving (under 55mph,no wheel slippage,may have to let off accelerator for engagement) or while parked,may need to shift from D to R and back for engagement
Old 03-03-2009, 01:31 PM

Thats great guys , just what i needed to know...I have to pass this info on to my sister who will be buying the Jeep in the UK for me to fly over and collect...she,s not had any experiance with a 4 x 4...
Old 03-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

when you buy it try to get the handbook with it xj has select so you put it in 4x4 when you need it 4litres best except for late grands which run mercedes engines 2.7 litres here in uk,engine is really good but still have diff probs.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW, Rover, in forum speak, bold is yelling, and I'm trying to get some dang sleep!! LOL!!

Old 03-03-2009, 02:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
BTW, Rover, in forum speak, bold is yelling, and I'm trying to get some dang sleep!! LOL!!

Well, at least it wasn't in "ALL CAPS"!!!
Old 03-03-2009, 05:23 PM

Default boldly go........

Sorry for the bold type , its just a habbit from writing to friends in Russia that can,t read unless i shout....I think it will be the 4 litre petrol engine i go for which i believe is in the Cherokee and the grand cherokee....I will be relying on somebody else to check out the Jeep for me , somebody who has good mechanical knowledge , but is there any problems specific to Jeeps they should be looking out for...? For the money i am spending i don,t expect a perfect Jeep but i need to know its gonna make it the 700 miles to Poland.....
Old 03-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

A well maintained 4.0 is nearly unstoppable. With that being said there are some major diferences between the XJ and the Grand. First, suspension parts for the Grand are more expensive than the XJ. Second the Grands have a strange way about going through transmissions. I had one, and it went out, I have two friends that have them and both of thiers went out, and one is a 4.0 and the other a 5.2, so displacement is not the deciding factor. From everything I've read and experienced, the AW-4 transmission in the XJ is bullet proof, aside from some cooling issues, which can be adressed with an auxillary cooler. If your looking for the economic route, I'd say go with an XJ. If you're looking for the most comfortable, I'd say go with a Grand. Other than the transmissions, both power plants sold in either model, 4.0 or 5.2 are great long milage engines. I don't know what else to add for you, HTH!!
Old 03-04-2009, 11:02 AM

Default DUMB QUESTIONS

The economic route is definatly what i am looking for , for this reason i am looking for a Jeep running on lpg fuel , and trying to get the best one i can for the limited funds i have....A diesal Jeep would seem to be the best option on fuel , but every one i have seen advertised seems to be cheap because the head gasket has gone , or often its mentioned that the head gasket has just been replaced , so i am thinking that there is a problem with head gaskets on the diesal Jeep..? As for the Petrol Jeeps , is the overheating a common problem due to a design fault , or is it due to to the cooling system not being mantained properly.....I currently own a Landrover and Rangerover 4 x 4 , so i am used to having to get my hands dirty keeping the things in good running order.....The Jeep i get won,t be used for any major off roading , mainly for ensuring i can get around when the big snows arrive here in Poland in the winter...I can use the Landrover for playing in the muddy forest , so hopefully i won,t be putting any undue strain on the Jeeps transmission....From what you say i reckon the Cherokee rather than the Grand Cherokee is my best option.....
Old 12-16-2020, 10:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Unhappy 2000 Grand Cherokee blower won't shut down after car is shut off

I am trying to fix my son's 2000 Grand Cherokee. The blower will not shut down even after key has been turned off. The only way to shut it off is by removing fuse. I changed the resistor in the summer. I am looking to see if there is a power motor relay or blower relay of some kind that needs replaced? I have removed glove box and did not find a relay and fuse box does not have anything behind it. Please help or point me in right direction. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.7
Default Check wiring

Originally Posted by ScotSoups
I am trying to fix my son's 2000 Grand Cherokee. The blower will not shut down even after key has been turned off. The only way to shut it off is by removing fuse. I changed the resistor in the summer. I am looking to see if there is a power motor relay or blower relay of some kind that needs replaced? I have removed glove box and did not find a relay and fuse box does not have anything behind it. Please help or point me in right direction. Thanks.
Try checking out the wiring for the resistor, some new ones are wired backwards. Same with some new blower motors.