Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Driver side windows not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Driver side windows not working

I have a 98 Grand Cherokee, and suddenly both driver side windows quit working (front and rear). After pulling off the door panel to check the module connections, I found that when pushing the buttons for the driver side windows I am hearing a clicking noise but the windows do nothing. Both passenger side windows work from the driver door and from the individual doors. The driver rear door does not work from either door.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

1. run to autozone and get a haynes manual. still open till 8pm!
2. look at window wiring. it will get easier.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:22 PM

I have the official 98 Jeep Manual, with all the wiring diagrams, I was looking for information specific to the problem I am having. What could cause both front and rear windows on the drivers side to stop working, passenger side windows work fine. Haynes manuals are insufficient, no specific information all very general, worst manuals for the price.

Last edited by BlackDawg; 06-24-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:10 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

Originally Posted by BlackDawg
I have the official 98 Jeep Manual, with all the wiring diagrams, I was looking for information specific to the problem I am having. What could cause both front and rear windows on the drivers side to stop working, passenger side windows work fine. Haynes manuals are insufficient, no specific information all very general, worst manuals for the price.
i find them easier than factory down load, too much searching.
haynes i find thru using, cover wiring very well, ez to use if you know how to figure wiring infi.
fixed all my window/ lock trbl and helped install aftermarket remote lock/unlock
Old 06-26-2017, 08:02 PM

Year: 2000
Default Might need switch.

Its been a while since i did the remote starter on my 2000 jeep XJ, but i was having trouble getting the door locks to work with it. If i remember right i think that all the wiring from each door runs through the drivers door switch. You might need a new switch for the drivers door. I know it is a different model jeep, but it might still be the same setup?
Old 06-27-2017, 03:48 AM

Not quite, the passenger side windows are controlled from the driver door by way of sending a signal through the CCD Bus, not directly powered from the driver door.
Strangely enough, I was measuring 11.5 volts on the tan wire (pin 12) of the plug even with the key in the off position, yet the windows are only suppose to work when the key is in the on position. My friend was thinking that I may not be getting enough power to the motor through the driver door module. I will need to pull the driver door motor so I can check it directly with the proper voltage.
The door locks all work fine from the driver door and passenger door. The passenger side windows work from each of the passenger side doors, the driver rear door window does not work from the driver rear door, which also gets its power from the driver door module.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:19 AM

Year: 2000

Just tossing this out there for what it's worth, I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee project going and I was searching for parts at Amazon last night and they listed the entire driver door switch assemblies for $25 or so.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:50 PM

A common point of failure on 90's GCs is the harness from the door to the body. The driver's door harness typically sees the most flexing and thus is the usual point to start your search. Pull the harness boot back and start off by feeling the wires. The broken one should be obvious. Sometimes the conductor breaks but the insulation remains intact. Those can be a little difficult to find, but be patient, and move each wire separately. It should be obvious - thinning insulation, or a spot where the wire doesn't feel like the others. It's usually the ground. Here's a quick door wiring guide w/color codes:
http://www.commandocaralarms.com/wir...okee/1164.html
Good luck!
Old 07-01-2017, 05:26 PM

Well, after completely disassembling the driver door window controller to get the motor out to check it I found the motor to be good, apparently the gear was just stuck and not turning, I got it all put back together and the driver door window is working fine now. As for the rear window, it seems somehow that the plug came unplugged from the rear door module. This more likely did not happen at the same time as the front window stopped working, as it is rarely used I just never noticed it till I found the front window stopped working and went to check the others. Anyways all windows working fine now, once again.