Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Death Wobble? Cylinder 2 Misfire? Speedo Cable not Working? What else can go wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Death Wobble? Cylinder 2 Misfire? Speedo Cable not Working? What else can go wrong?

I have a 98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 with 90,000 miles and a 4 inch lift. I've owned the vehicle about 6 months now without issue.

Suddenly today, the speedo cable was not working correctly, reading 35 while I was doing 60. A short time later, while doing about 60, the front end started to shake violently, as if a wheel was going to fall off (not sure if this is the infamous Death Wobble I've heard about - I have owned 2 XJ's and 2 Grand Cherokees - never experienced it before). I got off the highway and basically limped home, going about 25. I noticed it was now running really rough, and the Check Engine light came on. I tested it, and got a Cylinder 2 misfire.

Not sure if these are all related somehow, but, it just seems crazy it all happened at once. Any advice would by appreciated.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by BmoreCherokee
I have a 98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 with 90,000 miles and a 4 inch lift. I've owned the vehicle about 6 months now without issue.

Suddenly today, the speedo cable was not working correctly, reading 35 while I was doing 60. A short time later, while doing about 60, the front end started to shake violently, as if a wheel was going to fall off (not sure if this is the infamous Death Wobble I've heard about - I have owned 2 XJ's and 2 Grand Cherokees - never experienced it before). I got off the highway and basically limped home, going about 25. I noticed it was now running really rough, and the Check Engine light came on. I tested it, and got a Cylinder 2 misfire.

Not sure if these are all related somehow, but, it just seems crazy it all happened at once. Any advice would by appreciated.
I'm in the process of fighting death wobble right now. start checking over everything on ur front suspension to see if its loose or worn. If your not sure get someone under with you to help out. everytime i find simething worn and change it, or tighten something loose, it gets a little better. I can make it to 55 before it starts now. Its frustrating and can be expensive to fix, but I'm really starting to beleive its just a jeep thing especially when you lift them. IT WILL drive you crazy, but it is curable
Old 03-23-2012, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by bigbuk29
I'm in the process of fighting death wobble right now. start checking over everything on ur front suspension to see if its loose or worn. If your not sure get someone under with you to help out. everytime i find simething worn and change it, or tighten something loose, it gets a little better. I can make it to 55 before it starts now. Its frustrating and can be expensive to fix, but I'm really starting to beleive its just a jeep thing especially when you lift them. IT WILL drive you crazy, but it is curable
I have had experience with the death wobble on my 95 Jeep XJ. The problem is the steering stablizer shock absorber. You will probably notice that it is leaking. After I replaced it, the wobble problem went away. At one point I had to have the bracket tha mounts the steering stablizer re welded because it rotted away.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:31 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

the death wobble is ouly caused by two things. steering shock or track bar. most comminly it is the steering shock. if its leaking replace it. also check your track bar for any kind of play or movement.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

The steering stabilizer will NOT cause or cure a death wobble issue, it will only MASK the real cause of the problem. The two main causes of death wobble are worn or loose steering and suspension parts and steering geometry that is not correct. Worn track bar bushings will cause DW, loose or broken track bar brackets will cause DW, worn control arm bushings and loose ball joints can cause DW. The steering stabilizer will not cause DW.

Last edited by Bustedback; 03-24-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by gdavenport0701
the death wobble is ouly caused by two things. steering shock or track bar. most comminly it is the steering shock. if its leaking replace it. also check your track bar for any kind of play or movement.
not to sound like a smart@#$ but if those were the only two things that caused death wobble, I dont think there would be so many posts about on jeep forums all over the internet. Ive already upgraded all that stuff, even went as far as welding on the frame bracket for the adj. trac-bar. Next thing is gonna be ball joints, they dont have extreme amounts of play, but I'm pretty sure thats whats causing it.