Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

CV Joint or Hub Assembley?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default CV Joint or Hub Assembley?

Hey guys. I have a '97 ZJ Laredo. There is a whirring sound coming from the front right passenger side, along with a soft thud that seems to go about twice as fast as the tires. This doesn't happen constantly; it first happened a couple of days ago, going about 50mph. I heard the whir and felt/heard the thud, and quickly pulled over. I got going again and it happened once more a few miles down the road (I was almost home anyway) going about 40 when it happened again. I pulled over, it stopped, and I made it home. Today I took it out again to get a better idea of what was going on, got it up to 50 and she was fine. I was gonna try her on the highway but on the road up there the whir and thump/thud happened again, going about 50. When I pulled over I noticed a puff of white smoke blow away from under the right passenger side (I also pulled over into standing water on the side of road, steam from the water splashing on something hot?). I turned around to head home, and one more time it happened, only going about 40.

The CV boots are intact and in good shape. My hunch is that it's either the CV joint or the hub assembley/bearings, but I don't know how to pinpoint it. If I could afford it I'd do both at the same time, but budget constraits force me to do one or the other. Any advice?
Old 05-15-2012, 08:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

jack the wheel off the ground and grab the wheel at 3 and 9 and try to wiggle it to feel for loose/play.
if you feel play, you will need a new hub unit bearing.

otherwise, you can try to spin the wheel to hear for crackling.

it's hard to tell with a cv joint, but if the boot has a tear, chances are the cv is shot.

you might have to take it to someone for an opinion. then fix it yourself.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Sounds like a hub bearing to me, a CV joint will typically make noise while turning. You may want to take a look at the ujoints in the drive shafts too.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by caged
jack the wheel off the ground and grab the wheel at 3 and 9 and try to wiggle it to feel for loose/play.
if you feel play, you will need a new hub unit bearing.

otherwise, you can try to spin the wheel to hear for crackling.

it's hard to tell with a cv joint, but if the boot has a tear, chances are the cv is shot.

you might have to take it to someone for an opinion. then fix it yourself.
Also try it at the 6 and 12 o'clock positions. Play at only the 3 & 9 o'clock positions could be bad/loose tie rod ends.
Bad hub bearings will make a rumbling/humming sound when you spin the wheel.
You should also hear a ticking kind of noise when spinning the wheel if the CV joint is bad, specially if you turn the wheel first.
With it in the air and supported, put a bar under the tire and have someone move it up and down while you look for play in the ball joints. That could be the source of the thud.