Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Code 32???

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L
Default Code 32???

I did a search and found that code 32 may be a bad EGR valve solinoid...

I have a 93 grand ZJ 5.2L automatic..

Just trying to figure out what I need to do to get this fixed... What fixes a code 32??

I did have a oxygen sensor cde (or so I thought) replaced tht tonight, pulled the battery cable and sure enough.. still have my engine light...

now reads CODE 32

please help me figure out what I need to replace now.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:30 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

For model years 1985 and above code 32 will be thrown if the ECU doesn’t see a change in the air/fuel ratio when the EGR circuit activates. The power limited light will not be lit and the system will not enter limp mode. Causes and solutions include:
Poor wiring or connection - Read the page ‘How to troubleshoot drivability issues’. Check the wiring and connections from the logic module to the power limited lamp. Clean and re-grease the connectors with dielectric grease.
Defective EGR valve - Failed emissions may result if the EGR valve is stuck open or closed. At idle or low RPM if the engine runs poorly the EGR valve may be stuck open. This symptom may also be the result of the transducer valve. Check to see if the transducer valve for vacuum output. When at idle there should be no vacuum output from the transducer. The vacuum should increase when the RPM is raised. If the transducer is working properly the EGR valve should be replaced.
Defective EGR solenoid or Canister purge/EGR solenoid - The solenoids are located in the right, front fender in a cluster of up to 4 solenoids. In later years the EGR solenoid is mounted on the vacuum transducer, which is right next to the EGR valve. If a signal from the harness to the solenoid measures 12vdc when the solenoid is off the solenoid will need to be repaired or replaced
Old 12-31-2009, 05:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Well My JEEP only sounds funny at idle if u get outside and listen to the exhaust it almost sounds a bit chuggy or like if it is missing a touch.. inside the car there is no vibration and the idle is stable.. the JEEP runs like a rapped ape so I am guessing that it may be a EGR valve issue then...

Where is the EGR located on the 5.2L??
Old 12-31-2009, 01:49 PM
Seasoned Member

bumpage!!
Old 10-06-2021, 10:11 AM

Model: Cherokee
Default Code 32 Present, but not turning over

I read all of the following below and seem maybe I’m having a different issue, it’s cranking but not starting and code 32 is present but only that code, thoughts?

Originally Posted by mattj29
For model years 1985 and above code 32 will be thrown if the ECU doesn’t see a change in the air/fuel ratio when the EGR circuit activates. The power limited light will not be lit and the system will not enter limp mode. Causes and solutions include:
Poor wiring or connection - Read the page ‘How to troubleshoot drivability issues’. Check the wiring and connections from the logic module to the power limited lamp. Clean and re-grease the connectors with dielectric grease.
Defective EGR valve - Failed emissions may result if the EGR valve is stuck open or closed. At idle or low RPM if the engine runs poorly the EGR valve may be stuck open. This symptom may also be the result of the transducer valve. Check to see if the transducer valve for vacuum output. When at idle there should be no vacuum output from the transducer. The vacuum should increase when the RPM is raised. If the transducer is working properly the EGR valve should be replaced.
Defective EGR solenoid or Canister purge/EGR solenoid - The solenoids are located in the right, front fender in a cluster of up to 4 solenoids. In later years the EGR solenoid is mounted on the vacuum transducer, which is right next to the EGR valve. If a signal from the harness to the solenoid measures 12vdc when the solenoid is off the solenoid will need to be repaired or replaced