Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Clunking sound and vibration: New owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Clunking sound and vibration: New owner

I just bought a 2005 WK with 58K miles. I thought the mileage looked good and the deal looked good so I pulled the trigger.

1. Can someone suggest a book / repair manual or site for looking up these parts? I don't know the difference between a control arm and a tie rod. So i don't know what i am looking at if under the jeep and pulling on things, but I have the desire to learn.

2. I noticed the jeep had a vibration that shook the steering wheel at 55-70 MPH. I called the previous owner and was told it was the mud terrain tires and not to worry, it was normal. Today I met another jeep owner with the same tires and was told that their jeep did not have the same vibration or anything close to it.Any suggestions on the vibration? Someone told me to have the tires balanced and check the alignment.

3. Hearing a front end clunk when going over bumps slowly? Could this be related to the vibration

I appreciate all answers and help you can offer.

TXWK NOOB!!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:37 PM

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 HO

ive always had good luck with haynes repair manuals. u should be able to pick one up at local advance or autozone and probably cheaper than from amazon.
http://www.haynes.com/products/productID/577
Old 12-16-2011, 12:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 5.7l HEMI

Ok, first thing. Forget the previous owner, they sold the Jeep to get out of it and into something else. How big are the M/T tires? a Balance job is a good start. If it doesnt fix the problem at least you know that it was done and can rule it out. Is there any lift on this jeep?

It's great that you are eager to learn, but a word of caution, if there is something that you are unsure of, dont do it. There is no shame in asking for help. No one is ever a born mechanic, we all started somewhere.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the advice. I just need to understand what I am looking at, by in no way will i just take a wrench and start turning it on something that I don't fully understand. I meant for more of a reference, when someone give advice to check the rubber pieces on the front suspension I know where and what I am looking at.

The WK has a 2 inch suspension lift with LT 255/75 R17 M/T's. Basically these are the stock rim and tire of a Jeep Rubicon.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 5.7l HEMI

This is a good site: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/

Has helped me out many times with parts identification. Find your jeep on the left or click on Jeep Parts Diagram next to the Search box.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:20 AM

Previous owner had a lifetime alignment at Firestone. Can Firestone be trusted to do the alignment correctly for a jeep with a suspension lift?

More info on the my WK05

lifetime alignment from Firestone
new lifetime brake pads from NAPA
2" suspension lift - old man emu shocks and springs - will include factory suspension
Belly and rear steel skid plates - 4xGuard
17" alloy rims with 32" mud terrain tires - wrangler jk take offs (I have plenty of extra lug nuts and caps and even the matching spare with an unused tire)
Saguaro front bumper with D-rings and hi-lift points
Warn m-8000 winch - used once, briefly.
Husky floor mats - front, back and rear, will also include factory carpet Mats
SuperChips tuner - look it up, it's the best. Corrects the speedo based on tire size, adjusts for fuel economy or off road specs, tons of options here.
I only used synthetic oil for the engine- it lasts longer and is much better for the bigger engine. All diff and A/T oil was also changed at 55k miles.

Rocky mountain package
4.7l V8 engine
4x4 with low gear - QuadraTrac 2 I believe
Leather interior - heated seats!
Silver exterior/gray interior
Adjustable pedals
Power everything...
Tow package
Sunroof
Roof rails
Dual magnaflow exhaust - not installed but will include